Budget tyres

What is the consensus generally on budget tyres?. I've always been of the opinion 'expensive is usually better', but is there really anything to be concerned about in regards to 'cheap' tyres. Surely they all come up to current safely legislation so is buying cheap worth it?. At £130+ per tyre (That I normally buy) - I could spend £50 on the same size. Is it worth the risk - Indeed if there is one!

Reply to
Matt

Middle of the road is what i buy (no i dont drive a three wheeler) i found the ultra cheap stuff to be shit it terms of wearing and grip. Ive had a pair of Michelin Economy somthing or others on the back of the car for around 60k, and the front for 15k, the backs are still like new and the fronts are 2/3rds worn.

I think i am actually going to put the backs on the front now before they start cracking and put some new ones on the back.

Cue much frothing over if this is wise....

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

It has been done loads of times before - generally, it has been agreed that budget tyres are s**te. You get what you pay for.

Reply to
SteveH

As the bowl of petunias said "Oh no, not again!"

Reply to
malc

As the whale said - "I wonder if it [the ground] will be my friend"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yeah sorry - Should've done my homework. Google groups can be a help!! Thing is as I don't know about tyres, how do I know what is a 'budget'. I've heard of the big names ie Pirelli, Yoko, Bridgestone etc, but only because of their advertising and hype. Names like Barun Bravuris 2 appear to be budget, but appear to be well liked. Same with Avon. This is far too confusing.

Again apologies for my laziness!!!

Reply to
Matt

barum are one of the worst tyres I have ever come across. buy Michelin and be safe.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I own a tyre fitting company, some budgets are crap and some brandnames are well over priced. Tell me what size and I will tell you the best value?

Reply to
Fred

I've just fitted a set of Kumho to my Mondeo. Gave them a right=20 hammering on the way home from work at 6am the other morning. Despite=20 it being quite frosty, they just gripped and gripped. Road noise is=20 minimal but I've not had them long enough to comment on wear.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

I've just fitted a set of Kumho to my Mondeo. Gave them a right hammering on the way home from work at 6am the other morning. Despite it being quite frosty, they just gripped and gripped. Road noise is minimal but I've not had them long enough to comment on wear.

Which pattern of Kumho?

Reply to
Fred

I'd suggest we have very different views on what a 'right hammering' is....

Reply to
SteveH

Would that be on your Hongu or your Alfa T-Spark?

Reply to
Fred

Front tyres wear out faster on front wheel drive cars, rear tyres wear out faster on rear wheel drive cars - that is why there is a difference. Get the new ones on the front if it is front wheel drive, no point sticking worn out -ready to crack- tyres on there. Instead of Michelin, look for Kleber as they are made in the same place to the same standards but have a different name and are far cheaper. Really cheap tyres are crap, so best avoided. Mid range price for a known brand is the best bet if you drive in a sensible manner and don't race about all day. I tried out AVON ZV3 and found then great in the dry, but they slid on fast corners if pushed. After switching to Firestone TZ200 there was an immediate difference to the grip in rain although the tyre noise was higher. The AVONs still had loads of tread. The best ones were the Kleber tyres fitted when I got the car. Good in all conditions.

Read all the reviews you can find by going to some of the online tyre sellers.

Reply to
Ian

But the tight arse in me doesnt want to throw away cracking tyres that still have a good 1/2 tread on them!

That said the car will probably be scrapped in the bext 18 months and they are showing no signs of crazing yet.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

And yet the Barums I put on my Vitesse were extremely grippy, but predictably, wore faster than more expensive makes. I put both features down to being a softer compound. For a low mileage classic, I'd buy them again if I could be sure they'd behave the same, but differing opinions here suggests that they're not as consistent as that.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I have seen so many disintegrating and bulging barums that I would not put them or leave them on any car or van I had, even if they were new, they are a seriously horrible make of tyre.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Tom Burton ("Tom Burton" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The end that uses the tyres harder deserves the better tyres...

You can easily tell which end that is by looking at the relative wear.

Reply to
Adrian

Matt ("Matt" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

Fred ("Fred" Tell me what size and I will tell you the best value?

Fuck off, spammer.

Reply to
Adrian