Bumper removal?

I have a BMW 525 dating from 2005 and I would like to remove or loosen the rear bumper in order to repair the parking sensor.

There is no strip along the bumper that might cover bolts or screws. Can anyone suggest how it is likely to be fixed in position and whether the screws are to be loosened from within the boot or the wheel-arch or somewhere else? I suspect the same method is probably used for other cars as well as BMWs.

Thanks.

Reply to
The Todal

The Todal wrote on 04/12/2008 :

Mine (not a BMW) has large torq bolts through the side of the box section on each side, plus a keyhole type plastic clip holding the point where bumper meets wheel arch.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most bumpers are held on with hidden fittings. The rears you usually have to remove some trim inside the boot in the area behind the wheel arches and there you should find a bolt that screws into the bumper from inside the car. You also have bolts or other fasteners underneath that have to be released, and there may be some fasteners (plastic push rivets or screws under covers) along the top edge of the bumper where it meets the boot.

Reply to
Chris Dugan

An aftermarket system is unlikely to need bumper removal for repairs/replacement, and an OE system may prove more expensive and difficult to repair than replacing it with an aftermarket system. Just something to consider...

djornsk

I can't remember how the bumper was held on my E39, but I'm pretty sure the sensors just pushed out from behind - once you work out how to get your hand behind 'em.

Reply to
Pete M

I'll give it a try, if the weather is reasonably dry....

Many thanks.

Reply to
The Todal

Yes, after undoing a few screws from inside the boot and realising that nothing much was happening, I gave up and looked under the car and managed to get my hand to the right place. The sensors seem to be attached to the back of the bumper with sticky pads. I wonder if they work loose after enough trips to the car wash. Mine had been dislodged because I reversed into a wall.

Reply to
The Todal