buying a battery charger

Despite telling my self I should never need it I find it's time to buy myself a decent battery charger. Has any one got this one that I've seen at argos :

care to point out any better ones ( same power but cheaper ) out there ?

Reply to
mr p

Looks excellent to me, but unless you are planning on charging up huge capacity van batteries, I reckon you could save £30 and use this one

(same butclaims 12 amp fast charge and not 22A). As for the 150A RMS boost enginestarter they claim on the £59 charger - FOR HOW LONG? 400 milliseconds? Ifind that a hard one to believe. bucket

Reply to
bucket

They'll normally do it for long enough to start it if it's going to start at all. They're sodding hot afterwards though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is there really any need for these supa dupa battery chargers for the average guy who owns a family saloon?

Even using a crap old battery charger on 1.6 petrol engine cars battery when it wouldnt start in winter, I would find if I charged it up for say only 20mins that would be enough to get the car started.Once you get the car going the engine will soon charge the battery back up.

Reply to
Alan

Must admit my charger is extremely old. Must date from 70's. Small steel box with silver hammer finish paint and a round ammeter that gets stuck unless you tap it. Very basic. Just transformer, rectifier and high/low switch which taps transformer for the low setting. Never seen it read more than 4 amps, but does the job.

bucket

Reply to
bucket

I have an old one but it does not seem to charge. ( measured voltage at only 12v with no load ) I probably wont use it very often, but I would like a quality thing that'll survive in the garage for years, It'd be nice to have a look at what's inside it before buying. Having said that I guess I can take it back to Argos if it does not live up to its claimed 150A.. I think that's what I'll do in fact...

Reply to
mr p

How are you going to check that claim?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what the Lem Heme current clamps for .

Reply to
Duncan Wood

or maybe , if it starts my bike with out the battery connected ?

Reply to
mr p