C5 Indicator Problem

Hello,

I have a 52 plate C5. It's a 1.8 LX Petrol.

I have had it for 2 years now, and have had very few problems with it, until now !

The problem I have is that the Left indicator only works intermittently. There seems to be no pattern to it, just that sometimes it comes on and other times it doesn't.

I've had it in to the garage, but they can find nothing wrong with it. (although I believe they simply checked the bulb / connector etc)

If I put the hazards on, it works everytime, so I know the bulb etc is fine. Also the Right indicator is always fine, so I doubt it is something major on the electrical side of things.

I have no clue about cars really, but I can only assume it's something at the indicator end of the car (i.e. inside the steering unit) as opposed to where the bulbs are.

Can anyone shed any light on what might me causing this, and whether it is an easy fix please ?

Thank you.

J.

Reply to
jonnymenthol

I'd be inclined to think it is a poor contact in the stalk as well. If it is easy to pull apart, I'd dress the contact points with sandpaper/emery board or suchlike and check how tight the contacts close. If it is one of these modular things that go ping when you try to dismantle them, I'd get another one from a scrappie.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The message from "Stuart Gray" contains these words:

I don't think C5s do things like that. I've a feeling they're all digital and the current carried by the switches is tiny. That doesn't preclude it being a switch but it's less likely.

If you do take the switch apart, use very fine abrasive, or even just paper to clean the contacts.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They certainly are multiplexed - but, as you say, it doesn't absolve the switch. Could well be a bit of crap or something in there.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks very much - it's a great help.

Cheers.