Caliper on Fiesta Mk 5

Hi,

I've just replaced the front pads on my Mk5 Fiesta. On the O/S one the rubber dust seal had come unseated, exposing the chrome (which looked OK, especially after I gave it a clean). The piston wouldn't go back with hand pressure, but went back fairly easily with a G clamp. I removed the dust seal as it was buggered and wouldn't re-seat. However the brake is now binding, despite me pumping the piston out and pushing it back twice. So I'm thinking of a replacement caliper. Ford said "£150". I said "Ouch".

I don't suppose I'm missing some great easy fix? The first 5 breakers I've phoned don't have one. How much should I be looking at from a breaker? Do any other cars use the same caliper as the Mk5? (not vented)

Cheers for any help. Steve with smoking wheel...

Reply to
Stevie

you could just buy a seal kit and clean and rebuild your one, it is not very difficult

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sorted! The sixth breaker I phoned had one. £15. Ta Steve

Reply to
Stevie

If I were you I'd go back there, and ask for the one from the other side off the same car. Reason being that your car *might* fail the MOT in the future on brake imbalance, so by getting one off the same motor they should be pretty evenly matched.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And while you're there, it might be worth taking the disks too.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Why? They're only about £15 each new. Why risk used?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

NEVER. Discs are so cheap it's not worth bothering. Just changed the wifes vented ones on her Mondeo. £36 a pair and apparently they weren't the cheapest the place sold.

Reply to
Conor