Cam belt change - now whistling

I had the cam belt changed recently on my 1994 Rover 214SEi. Since then the engine appears to make a whistling noise when it's on. Does it when stationary and is more noticeable when starting after cold, but it still there when engine warms up and I'm on the move.

It is not the alternator/drive belt and seems to be coming from inside the engine when I put my ear to it. Seems to have coincided with cam belt change.

Is this any cuase for concern? Everything appears to be OK except the whistling. It's not constant, but intermittent and lasts for a few seconds...

Many Thanks Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

Hi Paul

Either the belt is too tight or the idler pulley bearing is knackered and waiting to explode in the offside lane of the motorway, so stop driving it and take it back, phone them first to inform them in case it explodes on the way!

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Paul,

Had exactly the same problem with my '94 214 SLi a few years ago. Turned out that the cam belt was too tight - loosening it to within the correct specifications stopped the noise.

HTH, Marmite.

Reply to
Marmite

You have overtightened the cambelt. The whistle is a tensioner that is also on it's last legs and the belt has exacerbated it. Get a new tensioner and redo the belt. If the belt is very very tight then you may have broken the plies and would be safer fitting a new one.

Reply to
Chris Street

Sorry read that as you having done the work. Take it back to the garage if it's a very short distance and get them to sort it.

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks for your help everyone - everyone of the same opinion it's too tight. I live in Wakefield and the garage is in Bradford. I've actually done a couple of thousand miles already - ooooer. I'll ring 'em in the morning.

Thanks again, Paul

Reply to
Paul