Cam belts / frequency for changing

(specifically for an S reg '98 Hyundai Accent, but...)

Are there any "rule of thumb" guides you guys work to, such as changing 10-20,000 miles prior to the manufacturers' guidelines ?

ISTR for mine it's 80k, but I had it done cheap at 40k while it was in for other work - considering it's now worth practically sod all* would you simply drive it until it gives up for whatever reason, or spend a couple of hundred on it ?

  • condition wise, it's...

(i) had "repaired" rear end damage (argument with a concrete post) - Williams BWM in Liverpool were the insurance co's "preferred" repairer, but couldn't be arsed matching the paint...

(ii) an offside rear prang c/o a HGV circa 2001, which i'm not convinced was properly fixed under the insurance claim (the boot no longer lines up with the offside rear quarter by about 1/3")

(iii) it's regularly inhabited by two large, and usually wet dogs, and has more fur in the carpet and seats than the dogs have on their back :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I thought it was more like 36k on one of these...

If the belt breaks, the car will be scrap. What would you buy then? Whatever you got would likely be more than 200 quid!

Your description of its condition doesn't mention mechanicals; if it seems OK in that respect I would get it done at the best price I could.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Colin Wilson wittered on forthwith;

They're not the best, I've got a 130d in the 'shop at the moment that's getting lots of their "bodywork repairs" fixed. The finish is mediocre, the repair is easy to spot, but the colour match isn't too bad. Metallic black though, so hardly rocket science as IIRC there's only one shade.

TwoMacs in Speke are far better at insurance work. Not cheap but that's hardly an issue when the insewerance company are paying. They get my work when I need something perfect and Insurance is paying for it. Their legal services are second to none as well.

Reply to
Pete M

(apologies if this appears twice, newsreader crashed)

90,000km normal or 60,000km "severe usage" by the looks of it :-}

True, money might not be quite so tight though in the near future, so=20 might treat it to a change anyway... i'd been holding off getting the=20 manual window winders sorted (both quite hard to use) as the last one=20 cost me just over =A3100 and the tea boy at the dealer managed to=20 butcher my door slightly in the process :-{

Had it from new, and it's never let me down once, excluding the recent=20 flat battery - I suspected it was on its' way out and hadn't got it=20 done before the winter :-}

I have to admit looking at W124 Mercs in automart following the recent=20 thread about decent cars - I think the missus has managed to bring me=20 back down to earth though :-/

Reply to
Colin Wilson

60,000km = 37,282 miles, 90,000km = 55,923 miles. Nowhere near 80,000 miles....

For a car of this age, if you are not able to DIY simple jobs, you would do much better to find a small independent garage. Ask around friends and family to find a respected one.

In that case, it has to be worth doing the cam belt.

Don't they always? :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

My son has just got a 1999 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 cam belt replaced locally for £170 using a genuine OEM belt. Surely it's worth that.

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds good to me !

He wouldn't happen to be local to me would he (Liverpool) - ta :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Collect it at 2am wearing sunglasses, did you?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

No, told them to sort it - and the additional damage they did to the other rear quarter - which they denied - upon which I told them to get the initial inspection report out, which didn't mention any damage in that area. Foot, gun, bang...

The next time around it was "closer" but still a crap match, but given the age of the vehicle and the damage it sustained from a HGV that I mentioned in the cambelt thread, I didn't think it was worth arguing over any further.

I still ended up having to go back because:

(a) the boot kept popping open as I drove it (b) hadn't put any screws back in the roof liner to hold it in place (c) kept nicking my sodding mats (went missing at least 3 times IIRC)

Reply to
Colin Wilson