camshaft sprocket bolt

What is the best method of holding the camshaft still in a 1.3 Mk2 Golf 1989 while removing its sprocket bolt. My car manual only says "Devise a method to prevent the camshaft turning and remove the sprocket bolt" which is not a lot of use. I was thinking of jamming a spanner through one of spokes in the sprocket but this may damage it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
P.J.Lawrence

It won't damage it. TBH you're just best loosening the bolt a bit whilst the cambelt is still on

Reply to
Conor

put a screwdriver though the holes (if there are any) in the sprocket

Reply to
dojj

Not sure if you have one on your camshaft but look for a couple of flats between the lobes which you can just put a spanner on, has worked for me in the past.

Reply to
Will Reeve

A plumber's pipe wrench is good for this kind of thing. Not a monkey wrench, I mean a tool with a right angled spanner kind of thing at each end.

Reply to
Mark W

Length of flat bar with two carefully placed bolts that go into holes in sprocket and allow you to jam it on something. Some have one bolt in the end and a second bolt on the end of a short link pivoted off the long bar - works on all sizes.

=============O==O

fit bolts in bar = at the O's to suit sprocket.

O H H H X====O H H H H H H H H

Fit bolts at 0's and loosely bolt bar H to link = at X. X to O is same length on both bar and link.

Peter Hill

Thanks for the feedback. I thought there would be some simple tool you could buy for this job.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Hill wrote:

Reply to