Can a grumbling wheel bearing wear out your tyres?

grumbling away=20

yes worn bearings can

no the front one is probably caused by the tracking being out.

Reply to
bongo rule

As I was driving home tonight listening to my left rear wheel grumbling away and thinking 'I must get round to that' it struck me that there might be a link between that and the unusual tyre wear I've noticed.

The left rear is more worn than the right rear by about 2mm (both renewed together). Also the left front has a worn outer edge but the tread is fine.

Could the grumbling bearing be dragging on the rear tyre enough to wear it much more quickly, and also be twisting the car to cause the front tyre wear?

Reply to
PC Paul

Have to disagree - i had *slight* bearing play on both my front wheels (so little it was advised on the MOT not failed). Shredded a set of tyres in 7K miles despite being laser aligned twice in 12 months. Repaired both and re-aligned same as before - been 4K miles and no wear evident.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

well yes if the front bearings are worn, but the op never said that the front bearings are worn just the rear = left bearing. thus I based my answer on this.

Reply to
bongo rule

OK... next step then...

Any experience changing the rear bearing. Frord in their wisdom have made it an 'assembly' of hub, bearing and ABS sensor disk so they can sell them for £70ish (or £45 for a third party EBay version).

It's 'supposed' to be much easier because of that. However - do the rear disks in a Mondeo seize like the front ones do? Is it just a case of remove wheel, tie up caliper, remove disk, unbolt bearing assembly, put new one on, pack with grease, 'refitting is the reverse of disassembly'?

Or should I find my grinder and gas axe first?

As for the front tyre wear, if the rear tyre is dragging slightly (enough to wear it significantly more than the other side) then surely it would try and twist the car slightly as it went along? Think of a shopping trolley with a sticky wheel...

The twist would be pushing precisely on the outside shoulder where the front wheel is worn out...

Reply to
PC Paul