Can't open bonnet of my car! Any advice? Options

Hi guys, my wife's 10 year old Fiat Punto needed a top-up of windscreen washer fluid. Pulled the handle that releases the bonnet/hood and nothing happened. Tried several times, with no success. There must be an answer without taking it to a garage, surely? It's old, but it's only done 37K and she's very fond of it!! lol

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Mike

Does the lever feel like it has something connected? or do you think the cables broke?

If you think something is connected get somebody to pull lever & then try to both push down on the bonnet & also lift the bonnet.

Alan...

Reply to
Alan Smith

Yes it certainly feels if it is connected to something... will try what you suggest. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike

It's possible that the cable has snapped, in which case I foresee a long time spent underneath the car tryig to reach up to the catch with a variety of long implements.

OR

The latch is unlubricated and too stiff to move against the spring presure. In this (common) case you can get somebody to press up and down on the bonnet by the catch while you pull in the cable and if you're lucky it will relieve the pressure enough to make it let go.

If that is the case, grease it and work it loose before you shut it again...

Reply to
PCPaul

Perhaps the cable has stretched. When you pull the lever as far as it will go, can you get at the inner cable with some pliers and see if the cable will pull back a bit more to release bonnet.

Reply to
Redwood