Can't start my Clio. What does the orange light mean?

Hi,

I got a 1997 petrol 1.2 Clio about 6 months ago.

When I bought it, I was told to wait for an orange light to go out before turning the key. It looks like an orange zig zag line.

Today, I forgot all about that and turned the key. It didn't start. Despite leaving it for 10 mins, when I put the ignition key in and turn it on, the orange light does not appear (so I can't wait for it to go out).

The engine turns over fine but there's no sign of it starting.

So what does that light mean and what can I do to fix my car?

Thanks.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

lock the car using the central locking, then open it and try again. it sounds like the immobiliser is on, renaults do still turn over when the immobiliser works. many cars don't spin over and so it is more obviously the immobiliser.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Central locking? Doesn't have it.

There is a flashing LED next to the gearstick (really tacky - obviously where the electric window control would normally be if it had any as it's on a pointless rocker switch). The LED stops flashing when I put the key in. I've always thought that was something to do with the immobiliser.

Still - it could be something to do with that.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

That does sound like the immobiliser warning. Have you tried locking the car and trying again? Usually an orange light on the dash would represent a heater plug, but that would only be on diesels.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes - when I left it for 10 mins I locked it up.

I also tried it again this morning and no luck.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

it isn't something unrelated like low on fuel is it? otherwise you need to start checking for sparks, or joinn the AA get homestart, wait a few days and get them round.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

...although you would not be complying with the AA's terms and conditions by doing so, of course :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

oh dear! what a pity, never mind.

My local shopping centre has a get you going service so they don't get cars abandoned there, I have sometimes been tempted to tow something really difficult round there and try out the service.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Presumably you would have to buy something?

My reply was intended as tongue in cheek; I would certainly try something like that if stuck. You would possibly be surprised at some of the stunts customers try on!

For the OP, AA patrols are required to sell a quota of memberships each month in order to meet their performance targets. It's something that they all hate doing. If you decided to try out Mr Cheerful's suggestion, it might be worth finding a local patrol and offering to take out membership through him. He is more likely to turn a blind eye to any T & C failings!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'd try leaving the battery disconected for a while, but make sure you have the radio codes if it uses them.

Reply to
Redwood

Strange thing is - I tried it this evening and it works!

I've experimented with the key that doesn't have an imobiliser in it and see that the light near the gearstick is the imobiliser light and the one on the dash must be something else. It looks a bit like a statistical graph and I'm guessing it might be an engine management system light or something.

Anyway, works now. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

It may well be a light for an engine management warning, but you wouldn't usually wait for it to go out before starting. Good luck.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Can't you buy "instant" AA membership any more?

Reply to
Graz
[...]

You can, but the terms and conditions for Home Start state that you must have been covered for 24 hours or longer before you can use it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan