Can you solve this?

Exercise for the student in motoring:

Noise: Low frequency bang-bang proportional to speed of car. Accelerating gently - noise dissapears. Braking gently - noise disspapears.

This happened to me. That's all you get, the cluses are all there, it is very logical.

Reply to
johannes

Loose wheel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Or something sticking in the tyre.

Reply to
Don

looking at the spelling I would say you were drunk

Reply to
critcher

Correct, well done. The gentle acceleraton or braking takes up the slack, hence no noise. I had one missing bolt and three loose bolts including the locking bolt. How it happened is beyound me, the wheel had new tyre a couple a months ago and I often check the tyre pressures. The morale is: check the wheel bolts.

Reply to
johannes

My first thought from inside the car, but I was wrong. Also something sticking, the noise would not go away when braking or acceleration, and then come back again when coasting along.

Reply to
johannes

I assume that you fitted the wheel? Responsible tyre sellers torque up and double check the wheel nuts when a new tyre is fitted, they also make you sign that you will re-check the tightness of the nuts after 25 miles.

Depending on how far and hard you drove, the wheel or hub or mounting bolts may be damaged or weakened.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I did not! ATS fitted the wheel.

No I didn't recheck, but everything seemed OK since April when the tyre was fitted. I put air in tyres several times, but hard to see any slack unless you raise the wheel from ground. Its a mystery, but lesson learned.

Reply to
johannes

I have known cases of wheel nuts being deliberately slackened by other people either as part of a theft attempt or in 'revenge'

Merely trying to move a wheel when it is in the air will not show undertightened wheel nuts (unless they are actually loose) The cycling of temperature and loading can make an undertightened wheel very loose over a period of weeks or months or years, checking wheel nut tightness is part of a service.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We are progammed to yes/no-thinking: A wheel is either on or off; nothing in between. That worked for me over 50 years...

I once came across a large 4x4 jeep type on the motorway which had lost a rear wheel, the weel had rolled and parked at the central reservation. The 4x4 looked quite funny as the rear dipped, the car was pointing sky high.

Reply to
johannes

Correct, well done. The gentle acceleraton or braking takes up the slack, hence no noise. I had one missing bolt and three loose bolts including the locking bolt. How it happened is beyound me, the wheel had new tyre a couple a months ago and I often check the tyre pressures. The morale is: check the wheel bolts.

I remember our band's Transit van would sometimes loosen a front wheel nut. You could tell because it would start "creaking" at very low speeds. On a couple of occasions at petrol stations, I was even able to spot and warn other Transit drivers they had a loose nut.

(I seem to recall one side having left hand threads and the other was right hand, supposedly to help prevent them coming loose?!)

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Also had this, the wheel bolts were the wrong type for the wheels and bottomed out on the threads before fully clamping the wheel. Looked and felt tight but there was still movement. Weird part is that there had been no problem until changing the tyres...

Reply to
Lee

One was wrong, and they got switched when being put back on, so two were now wrong.

Reply to
Davey

or did they leave out a wheel spacer?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

BTW why is it called a "wheel nut", it's a bolt innit?

Reply to
johannes

Depends upon the vehicle, which type it uses may vary.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No spacers, was a few years ago on a Sierra, think it was simply whoever had the car before us had changed the wheels from steel to Ford alloys and not fitted the right bolts.

As the other guy said, the problem showed up when the tyre place swapped the rear wheels from one side to the other. Swapping them back and fitting the correct bolts sorted it.

Reply to
Lee

I've never found one of mine loose in 35 years, although I did once get out to investigate a friend's car to find that this was the source of the noise.

Reply to
newshound

History? ISTR that studs with nuts were used in the distant past, but bolts have been the norm for, what, 40 years or more?

Reply to
newshound

Not really, fords have gone back and forth, most use nuts again these days. Bolts can give severe problems when the exposed thread rusts beyond the hub flange, and are harder to re-fit the wheel after removal, especially with deep alloy wheels.

Reply to
Mrcheerful