Cannot open Sierra door

How can I get my drivers door open?

Central locking has never worked on the drivers door since had car, but still been able to open and lock door using key. A few months back it got stuck closed, but after much pulling, pushing, twisting key in lock and operating handle inside, I finally got it open. No luck the next time this happened and as door is lock shut I cannot get door trim off to investigate.

How do I get it open?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. I am fed up getting in and out of the passenger door.

Dave

Sierra Saphire LX 1990

Reply to
dave

not being daft, but has it ever hit a kerb?

the sierra's were notorious amongst the police for buckling the floorpan hitting a cats eye at around 80MPH as I recall..

so I would start my search on the floorpan...

then.. the infamous a pillar, it is renowned for moving forwards.. usually due to rust/rot.

after that, try lifting the door as you open it, it could be he hinges have "dropped" another common issue due to ford using soft steel for the hinges.

if none of that works.. lets be honest, its nearly 20 years old.. get something better?

Loopy

loopy livernose

Ok, lets put this more bluntly. Any ex car thieves out there who know how to pull the lock by sticking something down the window seal.

No, its not wedged by frame by damage. Door is free moving and wobbly. I should have said its a tiny fraction from fully closed like the catch is it in the incorrect position. Also external handle does not go back into normal position and is sticking up slightly. I have a spare Sierra in garage for parts, but just need to get door open.

Dave

Reply to
dave

In message , dave writes

As I understand it, you can make a standard 'Slim Jim' out of an ordinary 2-foot flexible steel rule with a notch cut out of the side an inch or so from one end. Stick it between the glass and the rubber seal near the lock and fiddle around until you can pull the lock up. This should work on most old Fords. You could always ask your friendly local policeman to help you - they usually seem to have the right tools.

Reply to
leo

Usually with them it's called a baton.

Reply to
gazzafield

In message , gazzafield writes

A bit harsh - I managed to lock myself out of my car once and the local bobby opened it up in about two minutes

Reply to
leo

Which still won't help getting the door open.

I remember filming a show where the plot required an Audi driver's door window to be smashed with a baseball bat. After about 15 goes with nothing happening they finally put a masonry nail in the bat and that worked. An asp might break a toughened window, but I doubt a baton would.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
gazzafield

Depends. A little scrote managed to smash my car's drivers window with nothing more than his foot recently.

Reply to
gazzafield

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

It would only need a tiny sharp stone to be stuck in the sole to make a window break very easily.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ironic when half a tennis ball was all you needed to get into some Audi's...

Reply to
PC Paul

That's much less intimidating. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Perhaps he was upset at having just stood on a masonary nail.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

;-)

Reply to