Car battery jumper packs

[...]

Are you suggesting that you would disconnect the main vehicle battery, and try to start and run from the jumper pack?

If so, I would strongly discourage that idea - it's not what these starter packs are for, and could cause you all kinds of expensive pain.

If you want to test the pack's ability to start a car with a discharged battery (which is what they are designed to do), then just leave the lights on until the battery voltage is below the threshold for cranking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That should do the battery a lot of good.

Reply to
Graham T

When testing, park the vehicle at the top of a hill so that you can bump start it by running it off down the hill when the jumper pack fails to start it.

Reply to
Graham J
[...]

As long as it was recharged within a day or so, it will do it no harm whatsoever.

It's leaving batteries flat for extended periods that shorten their life.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

+1

I've used mine "in anger" for starting vehicles a couple of times, in addition to using them to charge phones, run a tyre pump, and run a satnav after the cigar lighter cable failed.

Planning to keep one in each car, over the winter.

Reply to
newshound

Don't believe that one has 51 Amp-hours for a minute. But they do work, you just have to follow the instructions. Some of us in uk.d-i-y understand the adiabatic equation.

Reply to
newshound

It probably is 51Ahr. It will have a 3.7V 51Ahr battery in it probably at the 10hr rate. That is not the same as a 51Ahr 12V car battery.

Reply to
dennis

On reflection, you could be right. Of course the figure is only meaningful if you state explicitly the voltage at which these amps are delivered.

My similar sized Floureon T3 only claims 18 amp-hours (no voltage stated).

Reply to
newshound

You would effectively have a deep discharge if the above advice was followed and car batteries are not suitable for such use.

Reply to
Graham T

"SLI Batteries (Starting Lighting and Ignition)

This is the typical automotive battery application. Automotive batteries are designed to be fully charged when starting the car; after starting the vehicle, the lost charge, typically 2% to 5% of the charge, is replaced by the alternator and the battery remains fully charged. These batteries are not designed to be discharged below 50% Depth of Discharge (DOD) and discharging below these levels can damage the plates and shorten battery life."

and

"Completely discharging the battery may cause irreparable damage."

That's not saying that most wouldn't recover if only left discharged to any real depth for a short period but it's not supposed to be a good idea.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Read again what I posted.

'...until the battery voltage is below the threshold for cranking.'

would not constitute a deep discharge, and would be an order of magnitude safer than testing the jumper pack with the main battery disconnected.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

also there is no way that crocodile clips will take a couple of hundred amps. I once tried to jump start a hot diesel where the battery had died at the end of a long run home, I was using serious jump leads but could not get enough power through those to operate the starter, the battery must have broken internally as it would not accept any charge at all to buffer the starting. I had to put on a fiesta battery to get it going, to park it up till I could get a proper size battery for it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

OOI, how deep a level of discharge would a SLI battery be before it couldn't crank the car it was designed for would you say? 75%, 50%,

25%?

That we agree on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[...]

How long is a piece of string?

State of battery? (Age, number of times it had been fully discharged.) Age/condition of starter motor? Age/condition of engine? Type of engine oil used? (Viscosity.) Ambient temperature?

I'm sure there are more.

You would also need to define 'crank'. Modern engines when warm will often start the first time a cylinder goes over TDC on the compression stroke; does that count as cranking?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My Dad had an old car with a cranking handle. That would start on the first crank ....

Reply to
Graham J

So would my A40, I reckon that with no starter load the ignition could give a much healthier spark.

Reply to
MrCheerful

So, what was the last car fitted with a starting handle? I remember my parents Bedford Dormobile having one (arguably not a car though) and their Triumph Herald having one (late 60s/early 70s). Can't recall any family cars after that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This was ***very old*** - a 1929 Standard Flying 9 which Dad bought in

1954 ...
Reply to
Graham J

1988, 2cv.
Reply to
MrCheerful

Wow. Didn't realise that they carried on so long but I do recall seeing the starting handle hole in their bumpers now that I think about it.

When did minis (original) drop their starting handles?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+