Car battery question

If you leave a car batteyr syanding in a cupboard at home for a prolonged period will it remain at 12.whatever volts or will it start to die ?

Reply to
James

start to die

Reply to
steve robinson

It will sulphate up and die. Within a few months usually.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Generally I agree, but not in a few months unless already on last legs. Afteral, they spend at least that time in the shops and warehouses. My van was unused for 3 years and the battery is still able to crank over its 6 cyl engine with ease summer or winter.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

If it's in good condition and fully charged it will retain its charge for a very long time. A year should be OK. Lead acid are better than pretty well any other type of rechargeable in this respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

especially if the battery is clean and dry and not stood on concrete, though why that seems to be a problem I don't know!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

concrete is cold and has a habit of causing condensation

Reply to
steve robinson

It's one of those historic issues from when they where in rubber cases.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

James has brought this to us :

That depends upon the condition of the battery and its state of charge when put in the cupboard. If in any doubt charge it up every month.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield