car blowing out white smoke after oil change/engine flush

Hi all,

I recently carried out a full service on my K reg Toyota Corollla , and all seemed to go well (apart from a bit of spark plug porcelain which i thought had chipped off and fallen deeper into the engine, but turned out not).

So firstly, I put a can of engine flush into it, and revved it for 15minutes to clear any gunk in the engine. Then drained out the oil, replace oil filter, and put some Castrol GTX Magnatec 15W/40 oil into it. I checked the oil level to make sure it is not overfilled.

Now when I start the car, it is blowing out thick white smoke continously, like the head gasket/oil rings (or whatever they are called!) have gone.

Does anyone have an idea of what might have happened. Ive read that its possible that on older cars, old oil can actually close valve sealings which may have been torn, thus actually sealing any holes. Is it possible that the engine flush has opened these holes up hence the white smoke.

Any suggestions gratly appreciated.

Thanks!.

Reply to
billybronco

billybronco was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Hmmm. Most cans state that you shouldn't rev the engine, others suggest that you can even drive with it in the oil. Unless it's dislodged a lot of crap that subsequently blocked an oilway you should be OK.

Right, what does the smoke smell like? Oil? Or antifreeze? It's actually pretty simple to distinguish so that should tell you where you'd need to look.

*White* smoke usually means water, especially if it looks like a proper pea-souper. Oil would be more of a blueish/gray smoke.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

The message from "billybronco" contains these words:

More like binning it.

Reply to
Guy King

Is it that bad for them for the 15 minutes or so, though?

I periodically (usually every 2nd or 3rd change) use a can of engine flush in my rather elderly Lada Riva, and nothing bad's ever happened to that.

I'd agree that they do thin the oil, though - comes out at a fair old rate when you drop the sump plug. Still, it doesn't thin it enough to cause the low oil pressure light to come on, and it's only for 10 minutes at a fast-ish tickover, so I don't think it's likely to cause problems...

(Disclaimer - if the motor's not been very well serviced and has a lot of crud built up inside it, then using engine flush might dislodge that and it could end up somewhere where it can cause more problems...)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth