Car Covers - Any Good?

Hi,

As my car won't fit in our garage (and even if it did, the garage is occupied by my fiancee's Ka) I am forced to leave my car on the driveway overnight.

I'd prefer not to have to scrape ice off my car every time it gets frosty overnight. The car ('97 Mondeo) does have a quickclear front window but I think some of the elements are buggered (easy fix or new windscreen, anyone know?), and I have to scrape the side windows anyway.

So, I was wondering about something like this:

Has anyone used one before? Do they prevent your car from freezing up?

Thanks,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

A towel over the windscreen prevents it icing up. So yes, it will.

Reply to
Conor

By the time youve got that thing off and put away you mayaswell have scraped the ice off...

Reply to
Ben Organ

Uh? Looks like it would take all of about 20 seconds to whip it off, screw it into a ball and throw it in the boot. I could be wrong of course...

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

Plus not to mention getting cold/wet handling a large sheet of plastic covered in frost or water!

David Hearn

Argos, Index etc have them for a few pounds. If you really feel the need, the small version is easier to handle- just covers the upper part of the car to protect the roof and windows. Has elastic straps with hooks that clip to the wheel arches. I have used one (before it disappeared into the black hole at the end of the garage) and it works. On a frosty, snowy morning just unclip and throw it in the boot. Up and away with clear windows in a minute whilst others are scraping, spraying, watering. That's provided the locks havn't iced up. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

In message , DaveK writes

I used to use one of those about 15 years ago when I lived in Germany and it got really cold. The reason I stopped using it was that the straps and the bottom edge of the cover would flap about in the wind and start to rub the paintwork.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

also a pain in the rear (of the garage or boot) when covered in water/ices as the rest of it gets mucked up with the water. could drive off with it attached to the bumper and let it dry that way ;-)

Reply to
Ivor Problem

Doesn't take long to whip it off but I wouldn't put it in the boot because the ice will melt and you'll have a wet boot! When I used one I used to bung it in the shed when I took it off the car.

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Reminds my of my old neighbour who cunninly placed newspaper on his windscreen. In the morning the extremely wet paper had frozen solid to the glass. At least he had something to read while he sat inside the car waiting for the heater to thaw it off. : )

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Chris I used the one from Argos it was ok did the job. Have a look they do a better quality one for £20

Regards Tracey

Reply to
Tight Guard Security