Car headlights

When I was commuting between Sheffield and Bakewell I'd get that near-zero visibility a few times a year - Stony Ridge Road, S17 typically.

I'd not needed fog lights as such before then, so can't really judge. But the ones on my BMW Mini were utterly useless, and of course the Xenon headlights just reflected everything back. At night, it was even marginal with the sidelights, although being seen meant of course they had to be on.

Reply to
RJH

Good grief, reading Usenet is getting more and more like dropping backwards through time. The Ford Puma? Hella "have" introduced?

So:

Bi-Xenons are going to be introduced around the year 1999 in some Mercs with BMWs getting them just after the turn of the century (assuming the millenium bug doesn't get them!!)

Reply to
Scott M

Sadly, not. single colour LEDS produce a very narrow spike of light at a specific freguency. Combining them may appear white, but still leaves holes in the spectrum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blame MOT. I changed bulbs to 120% to make sure the car got thought MOT light output measurement.

Reply to
johannes

Wouldn't fixing the actual problem causing your lights to be ridiculously dim have been preferable to masking it?

Reply to
Adrian

There is no measurement of light output for the MOT

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's 1.7.5a

An obligatory headlamp... inoperative, excessively damaged or deteriorated or has a product on the lens or light source so that the light output is well below that required to illuminate the road ahead.

Adrian

How is that 'measured' ?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Possibly right there: Dismantling the headlights & cleanout. Will do later, but first priority was to get through MOT so that I have a car to drive. Took the easy way out.

Reply to
johannes

As usual. Tester's opinion. No, it's not a "measurement" in any tangible way, but it is a "measurement" in that it's possible to fail for inadequate light output.

But you'd have to be some kind of idiot to let the lights get that bad before taking the hint.

Reply to
Adrian

They shine the light through a big fixed yellow apparatus of some sort, I saw that at the MOT station.

Reply to
johannes

It's a ridiculously easy part of the test to pass - I had a motorbike pass with 2x kitchen type downlighters fitted as headlamps!

The tester said 'it's not great, but I suppose it's pretty much good enough'.

Reply to
SteveH

That's checking the adjustment and shape of the dip beam.

Reply to
Adrian