Car horn rules...

I only rarely use my horn, and it tends to be to let other road users know of my presence *because they just did something totally stupid* and obviously must have been unaware of me. The only alternative is that they deliberately forced me to brake or otherwise take evasive action, and nobody would do that, would they...

Anyway, having had to toot somebody yesterday for doing a U turn on a 4 lane SC road and then sweeping back out into L2 on my side (at 20mph and not apparently accelerating)... my horn is crap.

It really is just a 'toot'. I want a RAAAAAARP!!!

What are the rules for car horns? Any of the MOT testers want to comment?

I was thinking of a twin trumpet air horn - not musical, just LOUD. Are these legal? I've seen reference to single tone, multi tone, single note etc. and I'm not sure what these count as - I guess they play a chord as a single continuous sound. The MOT testers manual seems to say 'harsh or grating' is also a reason for failure - shouldn't a horn be a bit of both to be effective?

What's the score?

Reply to
PC Paul

My car passed the Single Vehicle Approval with triple air-horns, so would pass MOT.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I have one that resembles a horn fitted to a train, complete with air compressor and air tank. This is for people with badges in their cars, daft women and OAPs. Very effective as it scares the hell out of them.

Reply to
simon

ThePunisher

I want one!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I still prefer this...

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

Plenty of klaxons on eBay.

Reply to
Guy King

Hmm. Turbocharged engines have a source of 10-15PSI air at really quite large flowrates...

Put a really large switched tuned whistle on the wastegate.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try a Stebel. They have one for "small sea vessels" as well as cars..

or perhaps...

Quote: "This is still the Worlds Loudest 12 Volt Air Horn"

139db
Reply to
CWatters

Good call, in my own searchings I had settled on the Stebel Nautilus Ultra Compact - the 139dB version you have there. Only seems to be about £25 too.

Having read various reviews of it's effects - "I tried it in the shop, my ears rang for a day", "it can be heard for three city blocks" (excuse the Yankisms) - I'm thinking of fitting one in addition to the 'normal' horn rather than instead of. That way I will only unleash the full effects when someone *really* needs to be made aware of my presence ;-)

I wonder how that fits in with the MOT and C+U regs. From what I've seen it is ECE Approved(?) which means it is legal as the only horn, but are you OK to fit another totally separate system anyway?

Reply to
PC Paul

I got one for the 'boy racers' who think that they know it all, complete with pounding and blaring techno music that shakes the rust of their cheapo cars as they pass by by at great speed in built-up areas - a shotgun! Just point it at 'em and listen to the noise their posterior makes, and the smell is appalling - just like their driving.

Never mind, I just wish I could get away with one day :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "CWatters" saying something like:

At some short distance from it; third of a metre, iirc. Any other horn is measured at a metre distance.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

115dB at 2m. That's still pretty damn loud.

TBH I wans't after a calibrated sound level...

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@munge.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

France used to legislate "Town" and "Country" horns in the 60s, which meant that Citroens from that period (right up to early 80s CXs) had a pathetic electric squeeker - then, when you pressed the horn button all the way in, the twin airhorns kicked in.

Airhorns do tend to scare the MOT tester, I find. Godaloneknows what they'd make of that thing. 139db is rather loud. I think you might find yourself being sworn at, and your car looked at VERY VERY CLOSELY. Or - otoh - you might find they don't want to see it again...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Polite, perhaps, to mention it at the start.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Quite.

"Ummm, when you come to test the horn, you might want to make sure nobody's got their head under the bonnet at that *particular* moment..."

Reply to
Adrian

under the bonnet?

The sort of horn I was after, it would be 'in the workshop..'

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Austin 1300 Van den Plas, anyone?

Reply to
Guy King

Thus spake Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

They can scare other road users too! I once had a moped to which I fitted twin gas-horns powered by a bottle. I'm going back to 1980 here. Christ were they powerful. They could almost clear the whole street. I gave one bloke a blast once who cut me up, and the mad bugger tried to chase me and run me off the road, but I gave him the slip. Happy days.

Reply to
A.Clews