Car Keys

Hi All

Can someone please tell me if I can buy a key for an old Audi 100 (1989) when I do not have the original to use as a pattern?

Am I right in thinking that the steering lock barrel is stamped with a key number and that a key can be cut solely from this number - anyone BTDT?

I have phoned my local Audi dealers but they seemed a bit vague, and visiting the Audi website was a total waste of time - you can't contact Audi just the dealers and i've already been through that.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

P.J..

Reply to
theoriginalpj

ISTR we got a key cut for our Audi 100 from the number about 8 years ago or so, I think by the local VW / Audi dealer. If they don't have the know how / gumption, get the nearest locksmith to sort you out with one. Harfords sorted me out with new keys for my car, they're in Dewsbury.

BTW is that the one with the 5 cylinder engine?

Reply to
Doki

< ramble snipped>

Completely off for what you want, but - I had keys cut for a Montego years ago without the number. The actual keys were so wrecked that they couldn't be used as patterns. The dealer "read" the VIN plate, went "out the back to cut them" and produced same - and they worked! Now, we all know technology changes, but on a car of this age it might work :)

Reply to
Paul King