Car Recommendations...

Hey there,

looking for a reliable cheapish runabout, and wondering of any general problems any fiddlers/mechanics experience in the group.

I was looking at a 2000ish fiesta zetec 1.25, seems quite lively for the auction-cost. Mazda 323f gxi or lxi 1.3 or 1.5 comes into mind, and of course honda civic.

The honda's got a premium price tag, but a 1999 can be had for around £1600 with not too much mileage and FSH.

I'm very unfamiliar with the 323 gxi/lxi but carsurvey.org seems to have plenty of good reviews of it, and it's a mazda afterall. I'll probably be getting it from a car auction, and budget is really sub 1800, but after seeing a couple of decent 323's go for £1300, I'm tempted to just stick to the lower end of the budget.

Cheers in advance for any responses/criticisms ;-)

Reply to
Robert

Sorry, inteded for u.r.driving...

Reply to
Robert

Avoid the Ford (unless you are carrying a large stick of dynamite). The Mazda is a bit dull but you would expect that and Hondas are well respected.

Reply to
Depresion

I advised the ex-wife on her current car and went with her to view it and told her to buy it there and then. I've had many bad experiences with Fords myself but having heard glowing reports about the 1.25 Zetec and the car looked well looked after I told her to go for it. She got a 1998 R reg (or was it 1997, anyway....) with 75k on the clock for £800 18 months ago and it's cost her a mid and back section exhaust (circa £70 I think but can't confirm) and two front tyres. Failed it's MOT on one brake-pipe.

There are three points to note here :-

1) The 1.25 Zetec is a damned good, reliable unit 2) Being a Ford, parts are readily available anywhere cheaply 3) Don't help your ex-wife pick a car cos it's odds on you pick the most reliable, best car she could ever have and you just want the bastard to die in a rusting heap!!! Bitch! :E

Point 4) Why can I always pick supurb cars for friends and family and I go ga-ga at my own purchase and pick a dog! Done it many times now. :( Thankfully, I've broken the trend with the Avensis I've had for 2 years now but dreading the cost of a new exhaust if and when (or rather WHEN) it happens. :(

Dave

Reply to
Dave