Car repair advice needed

Hello, I do not know much about cars and need advice. I purchased a 1995 Chevy Lumina 3 years ago. I paid $2500 for it. Since then, I have put about $3000 into it for various repairs. In January, it would not start. I had it towed to the garage. The mechanic said it is leaking oil and transmission fluid. He said it also needed a new starter. He charged me $550 to clean the fluid off the engine and to put in a new starter. I went to pick it up in the evening, after it had been sitting in the icy cold all day, and it would not start. It was in the same condition as before I had paid the $550! The next day, he told me that he would need to put in some kind of new wires for $220. I paid for him to do that, and the car now starts. However, it runs just as poorly as before once it starts. Sometimes, I have to start it 5-10 times to back it out of my driveway. For the first 10-20 minutes, it will stall out when I idle at a red light, and the brakes to not work properly. When I try to push on the break pedal it is like there is an object in the way, and I have to push down with quite a bit of force. Once the car has been running

10-20 minutes it runs fine (for now?!??!). .... Now, the muffler is suddenly making a tremendous amount of noise. It sounds like a lawn mower, or louder.

I never had the two leaks fixed that the mechanic told me about. He said that it will cost about $600 to have the leaks fixed. Right now, according to him, the car is leaking oil and transmission fluid and it is getting all over the engine.

What I am wondering is this. At what point would a person who is knowledgeable about cars decide that enough money has been put into a vehicle and that another used car should be purchased? I presently cannot afford to buy a new car. If I buy a car it will have to be another car in the $2500 price range. This Chevy is now in need of the $600 repair for the leaks, the muffler needs to be fixed, and soon I will need new tires and brakes. It is getting to the point where it will need so much money in repairs that I could buy another used car. On the other hand, if I buy another used car for $2500, won't that quickly need repairs too? I am wondering if it will be a case where I will spend $2500 for a used car and then it will need $3000 or more in repairs, like this Chevy has needed? If that is the case, I might as well just keep the Chevy and pay for all the repairs. Or, since this car is 13 years old already, would I be better off spending $2500 to get a newer car? Would a newer car generally need less repairs for awhile?

I know very little about cars and I am confused. I hope someone will give me advice. I am a college student and I am in a financial disaster. I almost can't afford the tuition payments for graduation, and now I am having all this trouble with my car. The drive to school is an hour each way. Every time I get in the car I wonder if it will make it. There is no bus system in my area, and I have no one to drive me to school, even for a short while. Please give me advice if you can. Should I keep sinking money into this 1995 Chevy or should I start thinking about getting a new car?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Reply to
QA2008

Get a bicycle, take school lessons and realise that the uk bit in a newsgroup means England, which is NOT part of America or anywhere that works with dollars and Chevy Luminas (which in the UK are non existent in real terms, certainly I have not knowingly seen one)

The car sounds like a basket case, scrap it and start saving for something decent.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

rec.autos.tech will probably be more helpfull. Over here we'll just whinge about you not recognising the uk bit

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I think the Welsh & the Scots would like a word with you, along with some of the Nor'n Irish...

Reply to
Adrian

Think it's you that needs to go back to school...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't realise the other bits had the internet.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes using google is difficult isn't it.