Car Sales *Scam* - Comments and Warning.

I was recently approached by someone apparently interested in purchasing a 1981 car I had advertised. I'm pretty sure this is one of those scams (see

Here's the e-mail. The English is a give away, and the fact that they say what they do to someone in the UK, just about clinches it as far as I am concerned even if the "money transfer and difference bit" did not.

oOo

"Thanks for the correspondence,i'm impressed.I believe that the Car is still in good condition as you've said 'cos i won't be able to come and inspect it.Am in urgent need of the Car.I will take it for "X" pounds.lets seal a deal at that price.Consider the Car already sold to me.I would have love to comedown and inspect it but i'm presently out of state for a seminar.

As for the payment and shipping,I will instruct an associate of mine to send a certified cheque of "Y" pounds to you in payment of some fuel equipments I supplied to him.All you just have to do is to deduct the price of your Car which is "X" pounds and help me send the remaining balance of "Y-X" pounds to my reputable shipper who will be coming down for the pickup of the Car via Western Union money transfer since they will like to be prepaid before coming down for the pickup. I will like to have the address to which the certified cheque will be sent to and your phone number so that i can forward it to my associate to make payment out to you.Get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks. #

oOo

Lots of things give it away, but I thought I'd just ask how common this is scam is tried in the UK and if anything is being done about it.

Reply to
David Longley

In message , David Longley writes

Reply to
David Longley

It's common enough to be mentioned on the Jonathan Ross radio show late last year. His dim-witted producer nearly fell for it. Prat.

There's not much you can do about it other than warn the simple-minded that it's a scam.

Incidentally, I happen to be the sole agent for the sale of Tower Bridge. If anyone's interested please email me and I'll let you have the address (in Nigeria) to send the cash to.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I keep getting emails from Nigeria about a bmw I sold 4 years ago!

Reply to
James

To those who have had one of the seemingly endless con emails from Nigeria, have a look at the following:-

It's a collection of wind-ups sent to the Nigerian spammers and is absolutely hilarious to read.

Reply to
Neil Barker

Blimey, is everything you sell from the '80's! Did you check the boot for any spare computer parts :-)

Reply to
Brownie

It is a common scam not only in cars but for anything you care to advertise online. I have been approached with the same deal for a rabbit hutch, a henhouse, a parrot and other things.In my local paper today a couple fell for it.I'm simply amazed that people are so *stupid*. They got the cheque,banked it, sent off the balance and hey [resto, were amazed when the cheque bounced because it was a forged one. Silly pair lost £16,000.

Reply to
oldmolly

Hi Steve

That's good to know, i own Tower bridge Road, East and West side, i think you owe me back rent!!

Reply to
Steve Sweet