Cars in films

Why do they never lock the doors, a bit careless? The cars are either very clean or very dirty, nothing in between. Although they use fast cars, a man can easily outrun a car. A wheel cover always comes off when cornering. The villains are easily recognisable as they drive in black cars. No car need servicing; petrol stations are for buying snacks. Bumping into the car in front is a sign that you want to overtake.

Reply to
Johannes

There will always be plenty of camera, lighting and sound crew around to stop it being nicked.

Reply to
Jimmy

All cars have at least three petrol tanks, and they will explode in sequence at the slightest impact.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Perhaps they're all Pintos in disguise.

Reply to
Guy King

The best bit is an old knacker can give a Porsche a right run for the money :-0

Reply to
Avanti

In chase scenes you always hear them change up endlessly.

Reply to
Marvin The Mouse

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Marvin The Mouse" saying something like:

The tyres always screech, even on grass or gravel.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Even going round very slight corners at 55 American mph.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

message

And American cars are so slow that even flat out, any old van, pickup, or rig that's chasing them, can easily catch up, and drive them off the road. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Don't Americans have more concrete roads? Tyres screech in concrete car parks at 10mph.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

yes, but my 218 does that too.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

message

Get the tracking sorted then...

Reply to
Avanti

Yep. From what I've seen most if not all of the msjor roads are more 'poured' than 'laid'. Hence the clunk-clunk every hundred yards or so as you go over a gap between two great slabs of the stuff.

Also gotta love the 'let's put a great big concrete wall here instead of a nice, bendy crash barrier' thing they've got going on :P

But back to films: Slow-mo of car flying through the air..wheels not moving. Amazing smashed/not smashed windows as you go through a scene. Same for any dents/scrapes and generally also whether it's clean or now.

Basically the crap continuity gets crapper when there are cars involved sometimes.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Stuart Gray decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I had a '73 Chevy Malibu that actually did that. Worrying.

Reply to
Pete M

The message from "Chandy" contains these words:

I hate concrete motorways 'cos of the noise. The expansion joints are sometimes OK if you hit a day when they're neither too hot and sticking up nor too cold and deeply sunk. Nasty things, and very wearing to drive on. What I really like is that porous tarmac like they've got on the M25 near Leatherhead. Smashing in the rain, the water just soaks in leaving the road dry with almost no spray.

Watch closely in some slomo scenes and you'll see the suspension turret come up through the bonnet. Cut to same car driving off happily.

Reply to
Guy King

Only if it's an American old knacker.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Half the time, the windscreen's missing, so there'd be little point.

There was a great period in the seventies when all stunt cars in American TV cop programmes seemed to be sprayed the same shade of pale blue. As soon as you saw a character getting into a pale blue car, you knew they weren't going to make it home in one piece.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

On things like The Bill, look out for a rather older car than it should be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

All you need now is a Star Trek lower rank in a red shirt to get in it.

Reply to
Guy King

Or a cop who's due to retire next week.

Cheers,