Cassette to CD upgrade question..

My 2002 Ford Galaxy has a cassette player and I was thinking of buying a Ford CD player off ebay to upgrade it.

Most of the players offered for sale come with a code card but I think I read somewhere that they are also coded with the cars VIN number?

How does that work exactly? Is it possible to reset the player my cars VIN number or is that a one time operation?

Anything to be aware of?

Reply to
CWatters

ford normaly use the reg number so when you switch it on the reg number scrolls across the front, i had an old ford radio from a scrap car fitted into my ford escort, worked fine with the 4 digit code, you can change the reg number in the radio but i wasnt to bothered about it, so i left it as it was.

Reply to
reg

Thanks.

Reply to
CWatters

This type??

The standard Ford 6000 cd player is only coded so that you enter the 4 digit code when turning it on. Ive got a program which is freely available on the net which gives you the code if you type in the serial number from the side of the unit.

Reply to
Kirky

Yes that's the one. I heard that in addition to the 4 digit code the cars VIN number was in there somewhere. I guess it doesn't matter if that's the case unless some copper thinks I've pinched it.

Reply to
CWatters