Catalytic Converter security

Hi,

I've just bought an old Ford Explorer, which I park on the road overnight.

Our neighbourhood watch chap has sent out an email from the local police about the increase in catalytic converter thefts, especially from 4x4's and Vans as they have greater ground clearance.

Apparently the thieves chop through the exhaust pipe to get the converter off in a couple of minutes.

I have seen commercial locks available, but are pretty expensive. (e.g.

Any cheaper DIY alternatives to protect your cat?

Thanks,

Chris.

Reply to
xscope

xscope gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Move somewhere less pikey?

Can't the bolts holding the clamp onto the exhaust just be cut? Or even just chop the chassis members that the wires go round?

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

The likelihood is that the scumbags come from the pikey areas to less pikey areas to do their thieving, so it would possibly be better to move to a *more* pikey area...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You're right. Never really thought of Weybridge in Surrey being that big a hotbed of crime...

Reply to
xscope

If the bolts are made of high tensile or a decent grade of stainless steel they're not easy to cut. One modification that would help would be to surround the bolts with a free spinning tube.

The main benefit of these things though, is to make it harder than stealing next door's unit.

Reply to
John Williamson

John Williamson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sure, but how many big tall 4x4s and vans with decent ground clearance have petrol engines...?

Reply to
Adrian

It depends where you live, Chelsea has hundreds of 'em...

I accept that the other unit might not be next door, but it'll be within a couple of streets.

There's one just outside here, but it's got no cat, what with it being over 40.

The other thing slowing the thieves down might do is to make it take long enough to get someone's attention, which *might* result in a police visit within the next few hours. If they're going to be under there long enough to think they're going to be seen and noticed, they'll likely be off elsewhere.

Reply to
John Williamson
[...]

The warranty on the Maxx model includes the refund of the purchase price of the CatClamp and up to a £1,000 vehicle repair guarantee."

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The only place that I have suffered burglary and petty theft from vehicles was when I lived in Surrey, in the relatively decent area to the east of Godalming. On the one occasion that the police were other than completely useless - they had enough information to make an arrest - the scumbag came from Scumpton. He stole a car to drive up to Surrey and stole a different one to get back to Scumpton. Sadly the police let him go after the arrest.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Mar 20, 9:49=A0pm, Adrian Sure, but how many big tall 4x4s and vans with decent ground clearance

Diesel engined vehicles have cats too.

Reply to
mark

mark gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Far fewer, totally different technology, and nowhere near so nickable, since they don't use precious metals.

Reply to
Adrian