Cavalier airbag

I've got an M plate Cavalier TD which has started flashing the airbag warning light up occasionally - it comes on, hangs around, goes off, comes on again. Did it this morning but not this evening,and to work and back yesterday.

My usual garage says that sort of thing is a main dealer job - they can look at it but there's only one sort of fault they can deal with. I'm hoping it could be an electrical problem as it seems to be doing it when its damp/cold.

What I'd like to know is - does it just mean the airbag might fail in a crash, and what are the chances it's something simple? Only the problems I've had with it have turned out to be horribly expensive. I like Cavs but this one's given me almost more grief than the person who found it for me!

Reply to
Snowleopard

If it's got an airbag, it should also have seatbelt pre-tensioners - check the connectors from these incase they've come loose/corroded (under the seat). A fault in these CAN prevent the airbag working should it need to.

Isn't there a replacement time for airbags..10 years, IIRC...

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:34:58 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Britt" said

Is this a common fault then?

That was what I thought. I kept an eye on it next time I drove it, and the light was coming on if I got the revs up around the 2k mark - light went off as soon as I changed gears and the revs dropped.

And the prize goes to you. I popped by my friendly Vauxhall people and they had a quick look at the computer which showed all fine. Told them someone had suggested an overcharging alternator, they checked the voltage and *bingo*. It's showing over 16v.

Cheers much for the advice; just hope its not too expensive!

Reply to
Snowleopard