Cavalier console bulbs

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1) Should there be any illumination behind the heater controls of a Mk3 cav? There's none at the moment, and I can't remember whether there ever was! If so, where should they be and how are the bulbs changed? Do I have to go through the rigmarole of removing the heater control unit as per the haynes manual??

2) The right-hand bulb of the speedo's away. Not a great problem but an annoyance. To replace this does the whole instrument panel have to come out or are the bulbs in it replaced from the front?

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

The heater panel does not have to be taken out completely - it can be moved forward as far as possible on its cables to allow access to the bulb and holder. There is only one bulb to illuminate all of the controls. I have a step-by-step description of how to do the job somewhere that I have posted previously. Will try and find it if you would like it posted.

The instrument cluster has to be removed to replace the bulbs. A couple of tips - make sure the correct 3W bulbs are used instead of 5W side light bulbs, which can cause the dimmer to burn out. While you have the panel out, replace all of the instrument illumination bulbs (not the warning lamp ones). You can guarantee that the one you didn't replace will blow once you have the cluster back in place!

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

I threw out the emailed instructions Anthony sent me a few years ago, only the other day ;-)

IIRC, one set of screws holding in the heater controls is behind the clock, which can be simply removed with a small-bladed screwdriver. However, the screw on the other side is obscured by the lower instrument panel trim. To get that off requires the steering wheel shrouds to be removed. The upper shroud only *just* comes off with the wheel still in place, and when it is put back, you need to fiddle all the rubber gaiters around the controls and ignition key into place at the same time. Once the shrouds are off, you then need to pray silently and exert what seems like an inordinate amount of force to get the panel trim off. It is clipped in on both sides, but you need to pull the middle out first and then carefully work the right hand side out to get the clips to release. I managed this several times without breaking it - it is stronger than it looks. Finally you will see the heater panel screw to the left of the instruments. Once this is removed, the heater panel should be loose enough for you to pull it forward and locate the single electrical wire running to the illumination bulb in its holder. Getting it out and in with the cables still connected requires some needle-nosed pliers.

[If you have a steering-wheel airbag, be aware of the risk this presents.]

By the time I had fitted a new radio, steering wheel control, new bulb, and attended to a bent heater cable, all on separate occasions, I could manage this with my eyes closed. It is, still, an inordinate faff for one bulb.

Reply to
John Laird

Hi,

Thanks for this. I actually had the panel trim off yesterday and the heater controls unscrewed, but it wouldn't come out *that* far. Do you know if the bulb is somewhere near the left, fed by 2 purple wires? That's the only electrical-looking thing I could see!

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

Thanks. If you've got your step-by-setp guide handy it would be helpful.

What galls me somewhat is that the car recently got its alternator and alternator bulb changed (which obviously required the cluster to be removed). It would have been nice if the garage had checked to see if any others were out, or even replaced them for the hell of it considering how much work it is to do. I suppose I should have asked them.....

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

Always the way! Had the other bulbs blow a short time after several times....

Below are a copy of the instructions for replacing the bulb. It is the part fed by two purple wires.

1). Remove the clock & then the two screws behind that.

2). Take off the cowling suurounding the steering column. At the bottom of the instrument panel is a plastic moulding that clips into either side of the dash. You need to pull it out at the centre and then disengage the clips on either side. It takes quite a bit of pulling, but don`t worry - the plastic is quite tough. I haven't broken one - yet!

3). Once this is off you will see some more screws to the left of the column. Remove these two screws securing the heater control mechanism. The controls should then be able to be pulled forward enough to get the bulbholder out and replace the bulb. You may need some long nose pliers to get the bulb in and out. This is the most fiddly bit!

4). Guess what? Refitting is the reversal of removal!!!! (Isn`t it always?)

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

See Anthony's reply - yes, that's the one. (How I thought it could function with one wire I don't know.) The heater panel should move enough to peek in and use said pliers. But take care - you don't want to run the risk of dislodging any of the cables.

Reply to
John Laird

Thanks (to everyone) for the info. I'll give it a go!

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

Damn, you're shaming me into replacing mine. Trust me (I've done it on the previous Cav), it's a pig to do. From what I remember, though, the bulb holder is just press-fit, so once you get your fingers on the purple wires (requires careful whittling down of skin and bone on fingers)its just a case of pulling the bulb holder out (gently).

As Antony said, replacement is reversal....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd