Cavalier Handbrake Cable

In the process (taking it steady, have half an hour a day on it!) of replacing both sides of the handbrake cable on a 1994 Cavalier. When removing the old one how do I remove it off the shoes as the drums are removed. Do I need to remove the shoes to complete this...or can it be done without removing them. Also does the same apply when refitting.

Reply to
Sidmon

It is usual to remove the shoes in order to fit the cable. It might be possible to change the cable without removing the shoes but it would be more difficult at least ! Principally the hub would be in the way so I suppose you could remove the stub axle to improve access. Overall I would recommend to remove the shoes as per standard advice in the manuals.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Right I have virtually fitted Cavalier Handbrake cable. Only problem I have is that once one side of the cable is fitted and atached to the shoes. Then you go to the other side after fitting it the two cables together at the torsion bar I have found that the cable even at its least adjustment wont fit right into the other brake drum. The cable wont quite reach comfortably...It is inside the drum but not enough to be able to attach to the shoe correctly and easily......you'd really struggle and would probably snap the cable again! Also I have found with the other drum, once it was all put back together I found that the drum would opnly rotate about 3/4 of a turn. After that it would stop dead as if a force had been applied...I have slackened the shoe adjuster right out so to give clearance for the drum to go back on easily....but still It wont turn after 3/4 of a turn of the drum.

Any ideas on any of these....and the Citroen ZX Noise is still a mystery!!!!!

Reply to
Sidmon

If it's the same as my MK2, then what I do is lever the shoe with the handbrake fitting out of it's bottom location on the backplate, having taken off the washer/cup/pin from that shoe.

Then using a large screwdriver, lever the handbrake arm on the shoe forwards towards the cable eye end. The cable can then be slipped on, before reseating and securing the shoe

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner