Cavalier pad change

Hi, can anyone point me to a site giving basic pointers on changing a pair of front pads on a Cavalier L - non-ventialted?

Cheers!!

Reply to
Synaptic Flow

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

It's a peice of cake, but you really do need the Haynes manual or something similar for these knod of jobs, just to getfamiliar with what you need to do.

On some of these cars - and I did this job on a "d" reg some time ago - it only takes a few minutes longer to change the discs as well, and the non-venitlated ones are very cheap so it makes sense.

Reply to
Richard Murphy

Cheers for the advice, got them sorted fairly easily, one disc will need changing in the future, but now we've done the pads it holds no fears :)

Reply to
Synaptic Flow

If it's the same as my old X reg one, you've done 95% of the work. Just undo the crosshead screw in the disc, and it falls off (while the caliper is still in-situ). Stick the new one one, and away you go.

I _loved_ that car for servicing. Brakes were nice, rear brakes and hub was nice. And the clutch! I wish designers would still do it!

For the un-initiated, the clutch change procedure was to remove the passenger side wheel, undo a blanking plate, stick a tool into the gearbox and withdraw the 'box input shaft. Get under the engine, remove the clutch blanking plate, stick 3 horseshoe clamps onto the clutch assembly (at 120 degree intervals), undo the bolts holding the clutch bits onto the flywheel (the clamps hold everything together). Re-assembly is the reverse of dismantling.

You could get it done in under an hour.

You could _also_ change the CV boots without removing the CV joint or even the wheel!. If you removed the bottom balljoint, you could _just_ pull the driveshaft & joint far enough apart to pop them apart.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Unfortunately later cars had a heavier flywheel - which does not come out of the opening!

snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk

Reply to
Richard Murphy

snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk

Same with an old Vx Nova I had. I went to pick it up at 4:30pm and the mechanic said I've just got the clutch to do be about 15 minutes. I watch him do it and couldn't believe it.

A good one to annoy Mondeo owners with.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Always change the discs in pairs. THe new disc will have a different heat co-efficiency to the other side and you may experience the vehicle braking more on one side.

Reply to
Conor

I'd tend to agree with you here, front discs ALWAYS need replacing in pairs, it's less critical at the rear to do pairs but it's still preferable.

-- James

Reply to
James