Cavalier starter motor

I've got a an L 1.6 with a slight problem, the starter motor doesn't spin round on every turn of the key, ususally takes quite a few turns before it catches, is it likely to be the solenoid failing?

Cheers!

Reply to
Robin W

=A320 odd for a recon.

--=20 Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack Shit, and you don't know him.

Reply to
Conor

I presume you mean that the starter gives a fast whirr without engaging and turning the engine. Usually this is because the pinion of the starter is not running along its shaft as it should. This can be caused by a poor battery or connections (including the circuit from the ignition switch) It can be that the teeth on the starter or the ringgear are worn. Probably though, the starter just needs removing and cleaning out and reassenbling.

This problem often becomes apparent with colder weather as the muck on the starter shaft gets thicker with the cold and damp.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If you're turning the key and nothing is happening, it's probably the solenoid wire. Follow the big red cable from the battery positive to the starter. Somewhere near this is a smaller black wire with a black plastic (Lucar) connector on it. Pull the connector off and refit it a few times, then pull it off and wipe the little terminal on the solenoid with a WD-40 dampened cloth. This used to happen every 6 months on my Cavalier, and I got so sick of it, I cut the connector off and crimped on a spade connector. It was a much better fit.

Reply to
Dan Post

I'll give that a go, mainly when you turn the key you get a vague clunk, then nothing, after a few tries usually it'll start turning over but very slowly, then kick into full speed and start, I've charged the battery & that hasn't made any difference, if, at worst it means a recon starter it's no biggy, the car was cheap enough to start with & is only meant as a 6 month run araound :)

Reply to
Robin W