Cavalier - Stuck ignition lock

It has been a bit difficult to turn the key in the ignition of my '94 Cavalier lately, and now I can't turn it at all. Graphite didn't help, nor did deicer (although I didn't think it *had* frozen). SWMBO's key didn't work either.

Does this mean a new lock, and if so, how can the old one be removed if the key won't turn?

I did swap the door locks over about 18 months ago because the driver's door lock was also difficult.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Hi,

It could be the actual steering wheel lock sticking (the thing that prevents the wheel turning without having the key). Not sure about the Mk3's but I changed the whole thing on my Mk2 a good few years ago after some nice person broke into it and forced it until it broke. I think it was just one bolt...

As I say though, not sure about the later Cavs.

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

The message from Peter Twydell contains these words:

If you really can't turn it (and it's worth spending half an hour jiggling and woggling the key just in case it finally behaves) then you'll have to drill out the bolts that secure the housing to the column.

Reply to
Guy King

keep spraying in wd40 and jiggling the key till it will turn. Then you will be able to press the release pin and the tumbler assy can come out. Buy and fit a new tumbler and key assy.

This is quite common.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'll bet it's your key that's worn not the lock. The giveaway is the mention of the drivers door lock giving the same problem previously. Do you have a spare that is in better condition that you could get a new one cut from? I had this with my old Carltons. Always starts with the drivers doorlock, then the ignition lock. (most used locks). Otherwise as the other posters ahve said, it's a drilling job. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

In article , JB writes

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I did try a less worn key (SWMBO's, as mentioned) and also the change of door lock (a pig of a job) has given no trouble whatsoever, which is why I suspected the lock itself.

Yesterday I needed to go out and collect a CD from someone, but as I couldn't, a m/c courier, frozen solid, had to deliver it to me. I don't need the car today, so guess what? Yep, turned and started first time.

Right, off to the dealer as soon as I get a free hour or two.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

When this has happened to me it's been the steering lock, not the lock barrel. When it happened to my BMW a garage replaced the steering lock and, as a precaution, the barrel. The one that came, ordered to the chassis number, did not match my existing keys/locks so I got the old one put back. That was over a year ago and it hasn't broken.

I had the same thing happen to my old Polo years ago, in Sainsbury's car park, and found that I could just unlock the steering by turning the key as far as it would go (halfway to the first position) so I hotwired the car and drove home. I took the lock barrel out, cleaned and lubricated everything, and it was fine.

The BMW was similar but I started it by dismantling the switchgear and turning the actual ignition switch with a screwdriver, from the opposite side to the lock barrel. It looked too difficult for me to take the whole thing apart so I bottled out and took it to the garage.

Reply to
Dan Buchan