Cavalier Traction Control (The Sequel)

Hi again,

To re-cap, 1995 (M) Cavalier V6 manual. Traction control warning light comes on soon after vehicle starts moving (either forwards or reverse). Used to happen intermittantly, now happens constantly. No engine management or ABS warning lights lit.

I think my previous analysis of the ECU error codes was wrong. The 3-1 code I was interpreting was from the engine management and probably was due to the engine not running while the test was carried out.

I found some other information on the Cavweb message boards, including details of how to test the TC ECU. I had been shorting pins A and B on the diagnostics plug, when I should have been shorting pins A and J.

However, when I looked I don't have a pin J. It is only present on earlier models. (Dammit!).

Having looked at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, pin J is connected to pin 10 of the ECU, via another plug (somewhere).

My questions are:

1) Where is the TC ECU on the car? Anthony Britt's advice was 'behind the water shield on the bulkhead, near the brake servo'. I've looked all around there and just can't see anything that looks like an ECU!!! Is there anywhere else it could be - another document I found said it could be beside the passenger seat, but that's where the ABS ECU is. Does anyone have a picture of what/where to look for?

2) If I find the TC ECU will shorting pin 10 to ground (ie doing the same as shorting pins A&K of the diags plug) give me a flashing light diagnostic, or is it a job that only a Tech 1 can do?

Apparently a common fault is the control motor plug or the motor itself. I

*think* this is OK though. I moved it accidentally with the ignition on and it buzzed and felt like it tried to move itself to compensate, which suggests that it is getting power, and it knows its position.

As there's no ABS or ECU fault indicated, I guess this all points to the connection between the TC ECU and either the ABS ECU or engine ECU being dodgy. Until I find the TC ECU it's bit difficult to tell though!

Thanks for reading this far. Sorry for the long post!!!

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain