celica front suspension strut

1994 Celica GT-four with 50K miles: I get a clunk from somewhere at the front of the car on acceleration and braking. I jacked the car up, took the front wheels off and found that if I grab the spring, I can rotate the suspension strut back and forth through about 10 degrees (about an axis running the length of the spring/ strut). As the strut rotates, the hub shifts backwards and forwards along the front to rear axis of the car. This movement is accompanied by the same clunk noise as I experience when driving. Obviously there is excessive play in the steering/suspension set up, presumably caused by a perished bush or loose component. The problem is that none of the bushes that I can see look perished and none of the joints seem loose.

One suggested cause has been the top mount for the strut. This looks fine from above, but I can't inspect the underside without some significant work. I guess my two questions are:

1) With the wheels off the ground, how much rotational play should there be in a suspension strut?

2) Any other suggestions about likely cause?

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh