central locking problem

hi ya

Hope someone can help me I have a ford escort 1995 and the key wont unlock on driver side and also the rear door on the driver side wont open at all.I can use key in passenger door and will open doors apart from the rear driver side one. The wierd thing is that I can lock the car using the key in drivers side but it just wont open the thing. All suggestions wellcome thanks

Reply to
gtatherton

Switch in central locking solenoid is duff. Need to get a new unit. Likewise for the rear door.

Reply to
Conor

Any physically compatible "modern" ford key can lock a ford lock.

Inability to unlock with the right key indicates that the driver's side lock barrel is either worn or broken.

You might be able to get a kit from your local dealer so you can build a new lock barrel. Remove and carefully dismantle the old barrel, making a note of how it goes together.

Take your new lock kit and lay it out next to the old one, and then assemble it.

Make sure some one is in the car when you test it out - because if you get it wrong, you'll be able to lock the door, but you won't be able to unlock it.

Drivers/Offside rear door: Check for signs of wiring damage, lubricate, or replace moving parts.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

I'd suspect broken wires between the door and the body (in the area near the hinges).

All cars I've seen like this have three wires- one for ock, one unlock, one earth. If the door won't lock, suspect the lock wire, won't unlock, the unlock wire. Neither (unless it failed one at a time over a period) the earth wire.

You can usually see the damaged wire- the insultation tends to "crack" and the copper breaks.

You can't normally fix the wire at the break- cut out the section and replace so the join is in an area that does not bend as the door opens.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

I have a 1994 Escort. I had this problem too. I should think the locking system on your 95 model is the same. Take a look at your keys. The ends should be a series of nice crisp-cut angles but over time these get worn away until the angles are almost or fully gone. I got there just in the nick of time and got a locksmith to cut a new key (=A310) - he was just able to identify the pattern from what was left of the angles. I use the new key to lock and unlock the drivers door. The old key still operates the ignition but I still cannot operate the passenger door or the rear hatch with either key! (although as comrades on this thread have said, locking isn't a problem) . Also the new key will not operate the ignition. I have figured that at some stage in the past the drivers door barrel has been replaced so now the new key will only operate that barrel and not the others. I guess it could be that the other barrels are too worn now to accept the new key but given that in practice the drivers door lock takes most of the wear I doubt this is the case. It is infuriating but at least I can unlock the car now ! I believe that the barrel sets with keys from Ford are expensive. Anyway, you might try to get some advice from a good locksmith who is used to this type of Ford key and can cut you a replacement. Hope this helps. Larry.

Reply to
Larry