Central locking solenoid repair?

Can a central locking solenoid typically be repaired instead of replaced?

The one I'm looking at has a hefty two pin connector (presumably for the motor) and a tiny three pin connector (presumably a switch to report open/ closed?).

When you operate it manually the rest of the car locks/unlocks as expected, so I think the switch is OK. The motor never moves.

Would the motor usually be something basic, so it can only be a shorted or open circuit coil, or is it likely to be more sophisticated than that and have dead transistors or whatever in there?

It's off a 1997 BMW boot.

Reply to
PCPaul

They tend to vary by manufacturer. Personally I'd say a good design would be totally sealed given the hostile environment most work in.

I managed to repair one on a '92 525 - but that had sort of jumped the gears and jammed. Later models might well have something more sophisticated.

You could try to see if it's available OEM rather than as a BMW part. I found Maplin's generic ones would fit my SD1.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm breaking a 1992 318i with working central locking if you want a replacement solenoid. If they're the same, that is.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

PCPaul pretended :

It could be either a motor or a solenoid type of actuator. Most anything is repairable if you chuck enough time and money at it, but you would probably be better, if it has failed, simply buying one from a scrap yard or via an online car breakers. Usually such problems will be due to corrosion on terminals, on contacts - have you checked for this first, before blaming the actuator?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just for interest what vehicles used solenoids? I've never actually seen one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or eBay. ISTR getting between 3 and 6 quid each for them in the past. I sold a few off 3 and 7 series BMWs. While I always stated what door they'd come off, ISTR that there were actually only a couple of types. Their positions meant that some survived better than others - the fuel filler flap one was in a nice cosy place, for instance.

Got a feeling Dave's right and they're actually small motors rather than solenoids.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I seem to remember sorting out a very old Datsun about 15 years ago which used a solenoid for central locking of the door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A capacitor storing the current, discharging into the solenoid to fire it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes. Two cars I('ve) own(ed) have them, the Jensen Interceptor [1] and the Renault 16TX, but they'll be many more out there. I've two Audis with pneumatic lock actuators - that's the only manufacturer that I know of with air jobbies.

[1] That'll be Lucas hardware, so prolly found on old Jags etc.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Is it an E36? With a boot, not a hatch (I think that was only on the much later Compact anyway)? If so, then yes I'd be interested...

Reply to
PCPaul

Oh yes, and the email address above works. Let me know if you want the part number - it's in the car now and it's bloody cold out there ;-)

...and for the rest of you, I know I called it a solenoid but I appreciate it's 99% certainly a motor. I've seen motor, solenoid, actuator, drive etc. all used, and for some reason solenoid is what my fingers chose to type this time round!

It's a black box with a lug on the end for a bit of bent wire...that's the vital bit.

The lock mechanism has a cunning bit where the central locking locks not only the button opening mechanism but also the ability to open it with a key. When I first took the solenoid out I moved that mechanism into the 'use a key' position, but within a day it had moved back, so the boot couldn't be opened at all..

For now I've put the metal rod back in and duct taped it to the bodywork so the cunning bit stays in the right place. Damn Krauts.

Reply to
PCPaul

Taken to email...

Reply to