Change final drive ratio...

OK, so I have this nice new-to-me 2.0 Mondeo. It's doing 4500rpm in 5th at motorway cruising speed, and I'd much prefer it to be doing 2500rpm.

Any easy way of changing the final drive ratio? Is the same diff fitted to any other Fords with a higher ratio? (Mk 1 Mondeo, 2.0 Zetec, from

1995/6...)

Also, after a Mazda and a Toyota, I've been sadly disappointed with the number of toys on a 'GLX' spec - not even electric rear windows, not to mention the manual sunroof and steel wheels....

Reply to
PC Paul

Sure you aren't in 3rd instead of 5th (sloppy gearchange)

or perhaps its the rev counter thats at fault - happened to me on an Orion a few years back

Reply to
R. Murphy

I'd expect the diff from a diesel to have a higher ratio but no data to back this up- but you would possibly find it on the Ford website.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If he's cruising at 90mph, then it could well be 4500rpm. Gearing in some modern cars are disappointingly low to get better 0-60 figures.

Reply to
Johannes

I never said that ;-)

The 0-60 is plenty good enough, I want low revs at high speeds :-(

Reply to
PC Paul

Didn't you notice these things before you paid for it then?

Reply to
DougP

True, but if they design a gearbox with close ratios 2,3,4, then 5th must also follow suit or there would be a large gap in the ratio.

Also, it doesn't help when mad motoring journalists often complains that high gearing is hurting acceleration.

Reply to
Johannes

Not too fussed about close 2,3,4 either - I just want a relaxed car. If I want 'sporty', I won't get a Ford ;-)

I was spoiled by my Carlton GSi - nice torquey engine for a relaxed cruise

Reply to
PC Paul

Well yes, but I paid £300 for an N reg car in good nick with 50K on the clock so I didn't complain too much ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Are you sure a 2.0 Mondeo can actually manage enough power to maintain motorway cruising speed at 2500RPM?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Sorry but to get that by changing the final drive ratio, you'll lose 0-

60 performance.
Reply to
Conor

It'll slow down to a crawl at the slightest hill.

Reply to
Conor

I do understand gear ratios, but thanks anyway ;-)

I meant the 0-60 can afford to lose some, in exchange for better cruising...

Reply to
PC Paul

Then I'll change down...

It would have more torque at 2/3 revs than many smaller engines would have at 4500. They manage...

Reply to
PC Paul

Very roughly 15mph per 1000 rpm? That's '50s cars. You've got something wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you know what a powerband is? Do you know where the average one is on a petrol car engine?

Reply to
Conor

I used to have a Mk1 2.0 Mondeo and it was geared perfectly normally for a 2 litre car. About 22 or 23 mph per 1000rpm from memory. Either your speedo or revcounter are faulty or someone has fitted the wrong gearbox. The early gearboxes did have a common synchromesh problem on third gear so it isn't unusual for them to have been changed or rebuilt. Maybe someone got a cheap second hand one from a breakers and it wasn't the right box.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

Err.. no.

I said 'motorway cruising speed', not '70mph'....

Reply to
PC Paul

Yes thanks. Can't be arsed to find the graphs now but I might later if I'm bored...

Reply to
PC Paul

I'd agree.

On my old 2.0 Mondeo, cruising (80) in 5th would be about 3200 rpm.

To be doing 4500 in 5th, you've got to be doing an enormous speed.

ISTR that red-line was 80 in 3rd and 100 in 4th.

There's definitely something wrong with the gearbox.

Looking at the MTX75 gearbox ratios (if I've found the right one - I gave away my old Haynes manual), the ratio of 3rd to 5th is 1.45, giving a cruising RPM of 3100 if you've incorrectly selected 3rd gear.

I'd check that you've got the right gearbox, and that all the links are in good condition. 4500 at cruise in 5th in the UK is wrong. I assume it does have 5 gears? If it's only labelled at 4, try putting it in 5th.

If it doesn't have 5th, you may have an old Escort 1.3 gearbox or something!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith