Change wheel bearing 206

How difficult is it to change a front wheel bearing on a Peugeot 206SW?

I was going to have a go myself but it looks like an horrendous job.

TIA

Reply to
James P

not a job for home unless you have good equipment and experience.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

For a 1.4 HDi MY 2001-2007, it's listed on Autodata as 1.8 hours, so possibly not straightforward.

A lot depends on your ability, what tools and other facilities are available to you, and whether you are able to call on others to help if it goes wrong.

Have you asked around for some quotes? If you can get it done at reasonable cost, and you are unsure of your ability to do it, that might be the safest approach.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for the replies gents, that is what I suspected. I don't have anything other than a socket set and basic knowledge so it looks a non starter for DIY.

It has only just started making a slight noise and I have been quoted £120 for each side with no guarantee it will solve the problem. The discs and pads are also worn so I am a bit reluctant to spend much money on it.

Oh well, time to start looking for a new car ...

Reply to
James P
[...]

Wait until the noise gets worse - if it does. A noisy wheel bearing might outlast the rest of the car.

Once it gets louder, it will be easier to determine which side it is. (If it's worse when you turn right, it's the LH bearing, and vice versa.) At that point, just get the noisy side done. It has to be worth £120; it will be worth more than that as scrap.

Discs and pads are easily DIY-able, and will be around 40 quid for a 206.

Seems a bit extreme under the circumstances, unless it's a real shed. The price of scrap has forced up the value of cars in the 'old-banger' category, and at that level it's often a case of 'better the devil you know'.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No it is a 05 plate which has been upkept fine. I just have the money spare at present and was toying with a newer car rather than spend any more on this one. Your advice on waiting for it to get a lot worse is exactly what the mechanic said.

Reply to
James P

In message , James P writes

Yes, you can leave it a bit longer as long as you aren't planning a long trip across Europe or similar.

There is a really easy way to confirm a worn wheel bearing. Jack up the suspect wheel and spin it by hand while holding the suspension spring with your other hand. You will feel the wear vibrating through the spring.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

That's a hell of a long way from being disposable.

Reply to
Adrian

On Fri, 10 May 2013 15:56:37 +0100, James P panted, in an erotic manner:

Pardon? You'll get rid of a perfectly good car because it needs consumables?

Discs and pads you can do yourself and will take you a couple of hours max, following a Haynes manual. I did my Berlingo ones myself, took about

1/2 hour per side. I paid £68 for a pair of discs and a set of pads. I'd expect the 206 to be about the same.

Leave the bearing until it gets noisier, then get it changed if it is indeed that. My Focus had a noisy bearing for ages, even passed it's MOT with it. If there's no play in it, it's not an MOT fail.

Reply to
Mike P

Discs, pads wheel bearings and if the front discs are gone the rear shoes will be too. There is also a dent in the wing to be sorted. Total cost say £500-600. Is it worth spending that much on an 8 year old car? Book price I'd be lucky to see £1700.

Shame really as I have had it almost since new and it has been looked after well.

Reply to
James P

rear shoes will often outlast the car these days

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On Fri, 10 May 2013 19:35:34 +0100, James P wro= te:

Discs, pads & front wheel bearings is under =A3300 all at the same time,= =

rear shoes are probably fine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Really? That would be nice if I could find someone to do the lot for £300 and get another year or two from it. I am in Wiltshire near Trowbridge, any ideas?

Reply to
James P

On Fri, 10 May 2013 19:35:34 +0100, James P panted, in an erotic manner:

Why? They last forever these days. Even the 83,000 mile old ones on my Berlingo are fine. Anyway, if they do need doing, it's a grand total of £19.99 for a full set. Yours are cheaper going off Ebay prices - £15.99 for a full set, and even allowing an hour per side of your time..

Is it really necessary? If it's just cosmetic, it could be very cheap to sort.

Then keep it. For the sake of a few quid consumables and a bit of your own time, it'll last for years. I'm guessing you can do the work yourself if you were going to tackle the bearing. The brakes on these really are a piece of cake at the front, though the rear drums can be a little fiddly, but not terribly so

Reply to
Mike P

On Fri, 10 May 2013 19:56:21 +0100, James P panted, in an erotic manner:

Well, I'm not sure about the bearing, but even your local dealer will do the discs and pads for £235

fixed-price-offers/ That's way expensive though. If you can wield a spanner even remotely competently, you can DIY the front brakes

Reply to
Mike P

So you'll scrap it, for a couple of hundred quid, instead?

So you've lost, oooh, a grand and a half a year in depreciation on it, on average? Before, of course, counting the opportunity cost of that investment.

Reply to
Adrian