Changed Spark plugs - now hesitation

Ok got a 306 1.6 TU5JP (I think that the code) Went to Halfords today to get some new spark plugs and get oil and filter for the service. Changed everything, except i brought some fancy exspensive spark plugs(champion Xeon?? Ion??? ZON?? something along those lines cant remeber)

Anyway now when accelerating in third or forth from about 1300RPM theres a hesitation (juddering) that clears after about 2200RPM. Now I know I brought the right plugs for my car, so Why has this hesitation suddenly appeared?? Are these plugs crap? They cost £20 so I thought they might be quite good. Any one had a similar expierience? Or is it going to be a case of buying new spark plugs (the normal cheapo champion ones) I've just given it a bit of a caning to see if it would clear but no its still there.

Any one any ideas??

Thanks

Ben J

Reply to
Benje

Mindwipe

Buy NGK, everything else is hype and s**te.

Worked one summer on green goddesses. They had a spark plug tester. I enquired why they bothered testing old plugs and didn't just put new ones in. The reply was they had to test a box of 10 new ones to get one set of 6 good ones and sometimes had to open a second box of 10.

Went to a Champion promo night once, they had just introduced copper core plugs at a premium price. NGK had been copper cored for at least the previous 10 years and I had thought all plugs were made like that. I left thinking - what sort of cheap crap have you been selling people for the last 10 years?

The film on ski mobiles crossing water 10 up and a pair of go karts with apollo command module thruster rockets doing the 1/4 mile in 3 secs was quite good.

Peter Hill

You didn't drop one or more did you? I once dropped a plug, then fitted it without checking it, the car ran as you describe. I took the plugs out and immediately spotted that the one I had dropped had a closed gap, I reset it and the car ran perfectly again. The chances of a faulty plug of a good make are almost zero.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

You're me, you are! I did just that on a Morris 1100...and got very upset triny to find out why.

Had leads 2 and 3 swapped once, too. That takes a while to fathom, particularly if you're not aware that the leads have been disurbed.

Reply to
Guy King

Might be worth checking the plug leads in case you've damaged them when removing. A DVM will check them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Back in the dim and distant past I did a bit of fettling on a mate's Datsun

120Y. For some obscure reason I assumed his dizzy rotated the same way as my Renault. Well I had a 50/50 chance I suppose. So instead of 1342 I got 1243. Blimey he didn't half panic, I realised what I'd done almost immediately but it was worth it for the look on his face.

-- Malc Likewise it is interesting to consider the ecology of the artifactual world, especially the phylogeny and taxonomy of bookbinding structures.

Malc

Some plugs still have a small screw-on top - where these are present, I usually just nip them up a bit with a pair of pliers, they can come loose and cause misfires. Dothis before putting the plugs in.

Were the areas around the plug holes clean when you put the plugs in? - A bit of dirt might stop the plug sealing properly. Also make sure they are in tight enough - with modern allow heads I always use a toruqe wrench - without one I usually err on the side of caution, leave one or more plugs loose - and get misfires after a few days or weeks!

Also - just make sure you have pushed the plug leads fully home, both onto the plugs and at the dizzy end.

To sort any small chance of corrosion, I usually squirt a bit of WD40 into the end of the plug lead, shake out the excess, and then fit them.

Reply to
R. Murphy

So which manufacturer/supplier was getting away with supplying the MOD with spark plugs with a 40% plus reject rate?

I worked on Bedford RLs in the REME, and we never had a reject plug once as I recall.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Home office, Supply and transport - CHAMPION.

Peter Hill

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm gonna have a look at it this afternoon hopefully.

Thanks

Ben

Reply to
Benje