Changing Battery without removing power

I want to change my car battery(saxo) with out loosing the power to radio etc. Ive heard that you can wire a battery into the cigar lighter socket while you swap it and the power wont be lost.

Is this correct or is there another way?

Reply to
Rob Kirk

The message from "Rob Kirk" contains these words:

Yes, you can get little dongles which plug into the lighter socket to maintain power while the battery's out. Trouble is that some lighters are only on when the ignition's on and that's too much load for the tiddly 9v PP3 battery in the dongle.

You could always just connect a set of jumpleads to the battery terminals.

Reply to
Guy King

A PP3 or similar wired to the cigar lighter (if it's permanently live) will keep the radio memory going, but you need to make sure no other load

- like interior lights, etc, comes on as it will kill it. But there's no reason you can't do the same with a second car battery. However, you'll have to be careful not to short the main battery leads etc as you change it as they too will remain live.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

or more correctly the leads .With a battery on the other end I presume you meant to say .:-) Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Well, yes, that too.

Reply to
Guy King

Not recommended....but I still do it !!!

Leave the car running when changing the battery... Hear the horror stories.... but have been doing it for 25 years... on new cars even and never had a problem.

JK

Reply to
JK

So long as you leave some load on, rear window demisters good, the only way it goes wrong is if you short the leads out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The lighter socket should be permanently live, assuming that PSA wire Citroens in the same manner as Peugeots. /john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Hi JK,

You have been extremely lucky because modern alternators are three phase and produce large AC sine waves without the battery connected to act as an electrolytic capacitor to filter the voltage. This large sine wave can easily destroy your emission computer and other electrical and especally electronic accessories that are on in the vehicle.

Disconnecting a starting battery while the engine is running or reversing the battery leads can be a very expensive mistake.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Reply to
Bill Darden

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well designed electronics on a car will have overvoltage protection. The engine ECU usually has a regulated 5 volt supply, and the regulator will cope with some 40 volts. Of course, if you revved the engine silly with no battery you might well wreck things, but the possibility of a battery connection coming loose in service *should* be catered for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes - my Berlingo van has a permanent feed to the cig lighter.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Out of interest ....... What is the authorised dealer's correct procedure for changing a battery on a newer car ?

Reply to
Olly

Look up Radio Code, disconnect old battery, remove, fit new one.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is affecting radio code only problem then ? I have a 2 year old Avensis . as far as I know there isn't a radio code ..... radio/cd/ sat nav. integral console. Isn't there any issue with ECU ?

Reply to
Olly

Not on anything I've ever seen. YMMV but I the only reason it's a problem for radios is to make it harder to resell them when they're nicked

Reply to
Duncan Wood

First, open your wallet and remove a large amount of money...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If the emission computer is reset, then it will have to "relearn' its settings. To avoid problems with emissions computers, security systems, radio codes and station presets, a second 12-volt battery can be connected in parallel while the first battery is being replaced. Please see Section 8 in the Car and Deep Battery FAQ on

for more information.

Kindest regards,

BiLL......

Reply to
Bill Darden

What's an 'emission computer'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

A computer used to control the emissions from a combustion engine.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.....

Reply to
Bill Darden