Changing brake pads

Can anyone tell me about changing the brake pads on a mark 4 volkswagon golf. They are running very low and need replacing.

I have a rewind tool to push the piston back, and a basica toolkit and plenty of time hehe will need it if I do anything.

a few questions do I need to bleed the brakes if i'm just changing the pads. Also if I changed the discs would I need to bleed the brakes.

Any tips and advice would be very nice.

Ta

Reply to
magicman

I changed some on a car recently, and the brakes did not need bleeding, however it is good practice to change the brake fluid at the same time, just so you know it has at least been done in the recent past, especially if you've not owned the car for a hugely long period of time!

Bleed them; but get a helping hand doing so, it's a 2-man job, and must be done correctly. It's not so trivial when you're approaching a roundabout at

50 and the brake does sweet F.A :-)

Also, I changed pads and discs on a non-ABS old-school brake system, so it was a piece of piss. I dare say newer cars require a bit more tools and ingenuity! BUT not so much ingenuity that it should cost £200 at kwik-fit, robbing bastards.

Reply to
Robert

The brake fluid will only need changing if your replacing the seals on the calliper or the calliper itself. I would advice changing the brake fluid if it hasn't been done so in the last 2 yrs. This can be done by yourself with a Gunson auto bleed kit

Changing the pads is very easy, you'll need a 7mm hex to undo the 2 calliper bolts which hide behind the dust caps which will be easy to find when you've got the front wheels off & the steering on full lock, remove the spring, wind back the piston using the tool & an old brake pad (as most tools don't have the length to wind the piston back fully) & refit the new pads with copper grease on the sliding shims on the calliper bracket, tighten the calliper bolts to 28NM, replace dust caps & calliper spring.

If the discs are worn, replace by removing the calliper bracket & the screw holding the disc to the hub

Reply to
A C

Excellent stuff. Thanks A C

Reply to