Changing wheel bearing on Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet

Folks, how easy is it to replace the wheel bearing on an Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet?

Reply to
Alex Buell

Don't see why it should be too difficult... although I've never done one. Front or back?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:47:08 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot:

One of the front wheels. What sort of tools would I need and what would I need to do to change the wheel bearing?

Bear in mind that I know enough to change brake pads and brake disks, which I did last summer!

Reply to
Alex Buell

If its anything like the VW Golf stuff (and they're more closely related than you may think) you need a decent hydraulic press - but I could be wrong, it has been known.

Reply to
Pete M

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 22:12:24 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Pete M:

Oh well, anyone else knowledgeable about this?

Reply to
Alex Buell

Ah... that would piss on your bonfire, wouldn't it, when your car's all in bits on the driveway? I haven't checked recently but I'm fairly sure neither of my sheds contains a nydraulic press.

OP: You'd also need to know how tight things need to be after fettling. A manual, at least, is called for.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yup, you /need/ a press, over 8 tonnes on the guage on mine before they moved. You could bodge it with a sledgehammer, but realistically either find a way to tahe the hub to some one with a press or buy one, they're suprisingly usefull. There are some kits that apparently let you change them in situ, but nearly 10 tonnes down a screw thread is hard work.

Reply to
Duncan Wood