Cheap cats vs expensive cats.....

Took my 2002 VW golf estate 1.9TDI into garage for new timing belt and water pump. This is the ATD engine.

Had asked garage to tell me where loud noise was coming from when I put pedal to metal.

I expected to be told it's your rear silencer.

Turns out there are two holes in the front exhaust pipe. This pipe also has a cat on it and there is one hole before it and another hole after it.

The original cat is 11 years old and has done 84k miles.

Enquired how much for the part from VW dealer.

700 quid... Inc vat. The labour is one hour and would be extra at 108 quid.

Look up on gsf. Can get them for 120 quid.

Similar story for eurocarparts.

Looking on eBay, they are around 60 quid.

Why the wide variation in prices?

Are the gsf or eurocarpart cats just as good or do they fail just outside their warranty?

Are the eBay ones dodgy?

Is there anything specific about the VW original part that justifies such a high price tag?

Is it possible to effect a permanent repair on the holes rather than buy a new pipe?

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
stephenten

Have a look at this link

Or if there are problems with that try
(same site as above)

Reply to
Woodworm

Cats are often exchange parts - you get a lower price on a new one if they take away your old one. One of these isn't a quote with exchange and the other without, by any chance?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

If the pipe with the hole is steel then just get it welded up. If it cannot be welded then just go with the cheapest, they all seem to work. Old cats are worth about 25 quid at the scrappies.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's a diesel, so doesn't need a cat.

Buy the cheapest - or get the hole welded up.

Reply to
SteveH

3000 for the pair from a lexus RX (shopping centre car park) The pykies attempted to tear off the cat from a Rover 200 of mine, but gave up and left their towing strap still attached, unfortunately they managed to smash in the tailgate in the attempt, although the cat was all right. For most vehicles you can now get a cat securing device with stainless steel straps that cage it on. cheap cat the other day: peugeot 106: 60 quid plus vat.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

I bought a new CAT from a motor Factors in Preston.

According to the paperwork its Type approved.

Took my Golf in for its MoT and to get the garage to replace the front pipe with the one I had bought.

They do the MoT first.

It passed with one Advisory:

2 very minor leaks on the exhaust. we are talking pinholes apparently.

How can that be when I always thought an entire exhaust system had to be leak free on account of fumes entering the cabin and noise pollution in order to pass the MoT

The MoT tester said that even if I had asked him to replace the front pipe with the one I supplied, he said that it would be illegal for him to do so because any Cat they fit on any car younger than 2001 has to have a Type approval mark physically stamped on the CAT which is the CE mark apparently. (my car is 2002)

We both had a look and we cannot see any CE marks on the cat body despite the invoice "claiming" its type approved.

However, it was mentioned to me that there was nothing to stop the car owner from swapping the front pipe themselves and representing for next Years MOT, the lack of CE marking on the CAT would not be a MoT fail.

All the MoT is interested in for the diesel is the smoke opacity test.

Quite a bit of a loophole if you ask me....

Reply to
Stephen H