cheap ratchet handles

Hello,

I wanted to buy a stubby 3/8" ratchet handle for next time I change my oil filter. I see that you can get a budget set of 1/4", 3/8", and

1/2" flexible ratchet handles on ebay for the cost of one fixed 3/8" handle. It will be for occasional DIY use but are these budget ones any good or should I pay more for a better one?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I think you know the answer really, don't you?

Reply to
Adrian

Well I've been using a very cheap socket set and ratchet handle I bought over thirty years ago. Of course it's never had really heavy use but it's been quite adequate for occasional jobs.

On the other hand, DIYing will save you money that you can invest in a

*nice* ratchet handle that will be a joy for life. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thirty years ago, you couldn't easily buy the kind of utter s**te that's rife on fleaBay these days.

Reply to
Adrian

Very difficult to say on Ebay stuff. If the seller has plenty of good feedback, worth a punt. It's easy to get your money back if needed.

FWIW, Lidl (and possibly Aldi) is by far and away the best source of budget tools. But you do have to keep an eye out for them as they are only special offers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

While I would generally say go for a "name", I have one of these

and it seems to be fine. It doesn't get heavy use, but then it shouldn't really for an oil filter. I bought this for the convenience of having

1/4 and 3/8 in one of my portable toolkits.
Reply to
newshound

if it is for the oil filter on a late ford/peugeot , then the quarter head sticking out the back might be a problem.

I have many different ratchets including several snap on ones, but the most commonly used one is the wera 3/8 zyklop flex head ratchet, screwfix used to sell them but now don't, they are on ebay at about 40 quid

Reply to
Mrcheerful

But well respected names of old are used to brand utter s**te these days.

Its seems common place these days for a far eastern company to buy a branded name in order to put it on their own wares.

Reply to
alan_m
[...]

I'm in the 'only buy decent tools' camp, but if the OP pays 40UKP for a ratchet *just* for an annual oil change, he would be better off paying someone else to do it!

I'd have a look here:

(Halfords)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sadly, so very true.

Which is why it's probably best to buy from somewhere you can get an instant re-fund from if it's rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All my metric combination spanners - a pretty well full set up to 32mm - are Halfords Pro, and very good. But they are many years old.

It would be hard to justify their cost for the odd bit of DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do like decent tools, and have a couple of Britool spanners. And I use a Bosch pro cordless from time to time - superb.

On the whole, though, it's Lidl/Aldi stuff nowadays when I need anything new - especially power tools.

I bought a large Halfords pro socket set a while back - seems very nicely finished and it's worn well. And a basic Halfords 1/4" set - must be 30+ years old and has seen a fair bit of use.

If I was using for my living I would probably rethink, but as it is, mid/budget does me.

Reply to
RJH

200 quid is about my top limit for a ratchet handle. Having seen cheapo ones fall apart, and being disappointed by the coarse ratchets, indifferent reverse levers, sharp knurling on the handles, sockets falling off etc. Although there are some cheapo ratchets in my collection, they are generally not nice to use and regarded as disposable if need be, eg: I cut the handle down on one to get a particular bolt out of a steering rack more easily.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Snag is Britool - like so many others - has been taken over. No idea how good they are now - if still made. And I doubt the name means much to many these days.

Yes - superb value. So much better than a shed own brand. Not saying they are in the Makita class - but far better value for DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Halfords Pro range?

It's where I usually turn to for tools.

Reply to
SteveH

Agreed, I have several nasty ones that I never use in various toolboxes waiting to be thrown away.

'Tis a bit different when you are using them many times a day, though, and any malfunction costs you money. Actually the "feel" of the Stag cheapie isn't at all bad. If the 1/4 protrusion at the back was a show-stopper for the oil filter, it would be easy enough to remove with an angle grinder.

Reply to
newshound

Lidl have a small socket set on offer this Thursday for 17 quid. Looks to be both 3/8 and 1/4 in drive, with a 3/8 ratchet handle.

Such things from Lidl are generally pretty good quality and in any case come with a three year money back warranty - but do keep the receipt for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)