Checking automatic transmition oil

I have never had an automatic car. I want to check the basic maitainace items on my brothers car. He lives in america and has an automatic 1995 ford contour 2.5. Do you have to check the transmition oil? Anyone know how to you do it?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
davidjones

The message from snipped-for-privacy@myself.com contains these words:

Sometimes, and follow the manual.

Not all cars are equipped with a user's method of checking the fluid level. The more recent versions of my Audi and of the wife's Clio for example, have no dipstick. It's a dealer thing.

For those that do have a dipstick the method varies - in many cases it involves warming the gearbox up to operating temperature, moving it slowly through all the gears and back into a specific one (usually park) then dipping - but like I said, it varies so you'll have to read the manual.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh, he does not have the manual. I guess I will have to try and find a merkin site for someone with the same car. There are so few compared to the UK it seems.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
davidjones

The Contour is the US version of the Mondeo, with some cosmetic changes.

There's a Contour enthusiasts group

which may be able to help.

Given it's not the 2.0, the 'box should be OK :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I thought a merkin was a pubic wig, used in showbusiness!

My, how silly that would look on a gearbox!

Reply to
Arturo Ui

The message from "Arturo Ui" contains these words:

There's an opticians in Brent Cross called Merkin.

Reply to
Guy King

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

The message from snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es contains these words:

And, sadly, buy an older one. Many newer autos don't have one - they're a dying thing.

Reply to
Guy King

They've moved the position of the dipstick in many newer hatchbacks. He's sitting behind the wheel in a Burberry cap... ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bolus