Checking if battery needs replacing

Good morning,

About two months ago, my wife's Mk1 Punto wouldn't start in the morning, but I wasn't surprised as it hadn't been driven for two weeks (waiting for brake line recall).

I used jump leads to start the car, and drove it to the garage for the recall (about 30mins), and it was fine up until Monday morning. Again it wouldn't start, but this time it had been driven regularly the previous week.

When trying to start it, I can hear the electrics come on, but the engine doesn't even attempt to turn over.

I am assuming the most likely explanation is that it needs a new battery (it's at 70k and hasn't had one yet), but I would like to check the battery. Is there a procedure to check if a battery is on its last legs? I have a multimeter and test leads etc.

Thanks in advance, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

a good battery will show 12.7 - 12.8 volts when fully charged, before checking leave the lights on for 5 minutes if the engine has recently run . when the starter is operating the battery should show at least ten volts.

if the engine doesn't turn at all, are there any clicky sounds or do the lights dim ?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The only poistive way to check a battery is to do a drop test on it, halfords, charlie browns an outfit like this will do it for you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Better to do a drop test on the battery