chips away?

anyone used them? what have the results been like? or does it depend on the franchise?

Reply to
dojj

I have used them when a local lad scratched my car whilst riding his bike. Can't see where they repaired the wing.

Very professional

NewsGroups

how much damage was there to the paint and how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking

don't want to pay panel prices for a few scratches

Reply to
dojj

The scratch was quite deep (went throu all layers of laquer/paint and was down to the metal). The cars paintwork was a metallic green (a sort-of British Racing Green) The cost was £60, but I did get the guy to touch-up a few other scratches. They can do this at home or at work.

NewsGroups

*wince* I'll have to start saving then cheers :)
Reply to
dojj

Guy at work used them at another place of work and everyone there was so impressed that the chips away chap spent the next day there as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Does anyone know how to avoid stone chips (other than avoiding stoney roads)? When I got my car it was covered in stone chips and I can't understand how it could be so bad. Do you think the previous owner kept driving up peoples bumpers or something?

Reply to
Peter

You could buy a bra. It'll Protect the bonnet at least. Funnily enough I see them advertised, but I've never seen one fitted. Maybe they're considered too pouffy for macho drivers. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

You do see 'em around from time to time. They seem to have padded prisms about the size of a medium Toblerone sewn crossways above the lights-ish. I've always guessed they're to disrupt the airflow so the edge half way up the bonnet doesn't flutter in the breeze and cause distraction and damage.

Reply to
Guy King

Wouldn't think they exactly help the fuel consumption. Wonder how much they cost to run? Possibly as much as using 'Chips away' after a few months. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G