CITROEN AX - leak - from where????

Hello

Please - r there any guys out there who can help me?

I drove my little citroen to town - finished shopping, then crawled in a traffic jam for about 15 mins or so, drove down a hill when suddenly warm liquid gushed onto my left foot and yes - I have manual gear box so three pedals - the water gushed over the pedal that I use for changing gear. I also later discovered that the water had also seeped in, under the dashboard onto the passenger side floor. In a panic I wiped my foot - it didn't look or smell like oil but I was perspiring thinking my car would blow up. The coolant guage temperature didn't look too hot - it was just past half way. I drove to the garage where the mechanic took the cap off the water coolant system and he said there was a bit of pressure there. But he said I seemed to have enough water there, he filled it up slightly with hot water. He then told me that anything could be faulty - it could just be a loose or broken pipe/lead - or it could be a leak on radiator - which may or may not be remedied with radweld. Unfortunately for me - he said it could cost hundreds of pounds to pull the car to pieces to inspect the radiator.

Can ANYONE tell me how to check for leaks - faulty/broken/loose pipes etc. I have tried to get hold of a Haynes guide from the library and they don't have the book and are reluctant to interlibrary loan.

I would like to check the car pipes - then if everything seems clear - I may clean the system and use the radweld - together with antifreeze and water.

Please if someone could help me - this is an old car - hundreds of pounds of repairs are worth more than the cost of the car - it is a H reg and I bought it for =A3400 years ago - and yes - I do need to buy another second hand car soon - but I thought - just get this winter over and finish my studies and when I am working ....

Reply to
she.lives

Since it leaked inside I'd start by checking the heater matrix.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

As there should be when it warms up - It's a pressurised system.

"But he said I seemed to have enough water there, he filled it up slightly with hot water."

So you had enough water, but he topped it up? And with water, rather than a dash of antifreeze which would at least have a possible benefit?

"He then told me that anything could be faulty - it could just be a loose or broken pipe/lead - or it could be a leak on radiator - which may or may not be remedied with radweld."

I think I've worked out the fault present at that time...

Your cooling system was running with a small amount of positive pressure, something that's entirely normal with a warm/ hot engine. You had a sizeable amount of water flood through the car. And you had a normal level of coolant.

The mechanic was most likely talking out a different orifice to the one he no doubt sucks air in through in a whistling way.

"Unfortunately for me - he said it could cost hundreds of pounds to pull the car to pieces to inspect the radiator."

It could cost whatever figure he pulls out his arse if he's the sort and realises you know sod all.

Alternately, it could cost very very little for him to look at the radiator, and even if it needs removing to see properly it's most likely half an hour or so, or approx 30 quid (at most).

"Can ANYONE tell me how to check for leaks - faulty/broken/loose pipes etc."

Check the coolant with the engine cold and on a level surface. A week later, check it again, with the car parked in exactly the same spot. If it's dropped you have a leak. If it's dropped a lot you have a serious leak. If it's not dropped at all your mechanic is a leek.

Obviously check the temp guage as you should just in case there is an overheating issue.

"I would like to check the car pipes - then if everything seems clear - I may clean the system and use the radweld - together with antifreeze and water."

If there's no leaks, why put clagweld in? Though a flush and fresh water/ antifreeze never hurts.

"Please if someone could help me - this is an old car - hundreds of pounds of repairs are worth more than the cost of the car - it is a H reg and I bought it for £400 years ago - and yes - I do need to buy another second hand car soon - but I thought - just get this winter over and finish my studies and when I am working ...."

Is there any reason other than wet feet to think the car is losing water? You mgiht simply have a poor windscreen seal, sunroof seal etc, and it was rain water that had collected above the footwells.

Even if it is a leak somewhere, a radiator shouldn't be more than 20 quid or so from a breakers, and at most an hour to fit (by a half decent mechanic who doesn't charge for his lunch breaks). In fact, I imagine the whole cooling system could be replaced with new for less than the one you saw was talking about just to check it!

Reply to
Stuffed

[...]

It is unlikely that a leak will stop of its own accord.

It would sound as though the heater is leaking. In which case: Cheapest cure is to bypass the heater, but that is unpleasant in winter.

Replacing the heater radiator may be worth more than the car is.

Ask around for a 'known to be reliable' mechanic, preferably one that knows French cars well, and ask him to have a look.

Alternately just throw it away.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful