Citroen C5

Hi Does anyone have any tips for home servicing of the C5 HDI? Any tips or tricks appreciated. Is there a way to reset the auto service indicator? Thanks Dave

Reply to
David Carter

The message from "David Carter" contains these words:

Get it serviced?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy you Funny Guy

Reply to
David Carter

David Carter (dc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If it's like a lot of PSA cars, press and hold the trip reset as you turn the ignition on.

Reply to
Adrian

This is re Xantia,-but same mechanicals. Tip. Never crawl under any car with self levelling suspension unless the body is blocked up. Buy a K&N air filter (about £38) which never need replacing, just wash it. Improves engine breathing too. Then buy an Eastcoast Racing fuel booster kit for £370 to provide the power it should really have.Takes ten minutes to fit.

12,000 mile service intervals which means a gallon of semi synth oil and filter. National Tyres will do it for £20 at the moment. Replacing the fuel filter is a rare event. Pollen filter is under the glove box,-slide the plastic clip in direction of the arrow. (One lug of the clip will probably break). Wash the filter in a net bag in the washing machine and save main dealer exorbitant charge. Always fit a new compressible washer on the sump plug. Just 75p and it's likely to leak if you don't. Can't find my memo re the service indicator, but I think it's something like, 'hold the trip button down and then switch on the ignition'. Wait until the mileage resets to 12,000. Check the LHM fluid level by running the engine with the height selector at maximum. When it's stabilised at full height the little flying saucer disc in the dome above the reservoir should be between the two red lines. Add lhm fluid until it is. If it's like the Xantia there is a suspension fluid pipe secured with a clip to the front offside suspension leg. A pool of fluid by the tyre indicates that it has chafed through the pipe. Does no harm to remove the clip. When you need brake discs and pads, make it part of a trip to France. LeClerc Auto did the fronts in less than an hour for 145 euros. DaveK
Reply to
davek

davek ( snipped-for-privacy@brentmere53.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not quite - especially with the hydraulics...

Agreed, but bear in mind the C5 is an electric pump, which runs whenever needed to keep the car "up" as long as the car's unlocked. The brakes aren't on the hydraulics, either - they're a normal servo system using normal brake fluid.

Oh, dear. No, don't.

The C5 doesn't use LHM. It uses the new "LDS" fluid. I don't know the level-check procedure, but it'll be in the handbook.

Reply to
Adrian

Why's that then? DaveK.

Reply to
davek

davek ( snipped-for-privacy@brentmere53.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

  1. A K&N is a boy-racer snake oil add-on.
  2. Mucking about with the fuel delivery will just use more fuel and make more smoke in return for a bit of power that you probably won't use anyway.
  3. You'll either have to lie to your insurers or get reamed out.
  4. It's just plain naff.
Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the tips. Next question, is there a workshop manual available? Haynes don't appear to do one. Dave

Reply to
David Carter

David Carter (dc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How's your French?

Doesn't appear to be one for petrol, just diseasel.

Reply to
Adrian

That has to be an advantage! ;-) Tha Haynes I bought for the Omega is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@FARINAb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm sure it makes a lovely wheel chock or jack base for soft ground.

Reply to
Adrian

My experience is not as yours. K&N filters, excellent. Improves engine breathing and therefore performance. Never buy another filter. Fuel delivery,- doesn't interfere with engine management at all. Mpg from 48 to 45mpg, well worth it for the improvement in performance. Doesn't produce more smoke. The increase in power makes for improved car control in bends, safer overtaking, and more relaxed trailer towing. £52 a year increase in insurance premium. 'Naff' is blue washer nozzles, baseball caps and big ears. Naff this ain't. DaveK.

Reply to
davek