Citroen Picasso - Instantaneous combustion

My daughter's Picasso '03 reg petrol. Burst into flame on the forecourt of the Citroen dealer she had repeatedly complained to about an intermittent fault whereby she would be driving along and the car would suddenly lose power and reduce speed to around ten MPH.

The dealer serviced it last week and found no fault on a diagnostic check. This morning the fault occurred again as she was taking the grandchildren to nursery & school. She dropped the two little ones off at nursery and decided the elder could be a bit late as the dealer was close by.

On arriving at the dealer she parked on the forecourt removed her phone/purse and infant #3, left the engine running, incase the fault disappeared on restart, went to reception to tell them the fault was apparent, turned around and saw the car in flames.

Had she kept all three kids with her she would have left them in the car! Shocked; but lucky!

Has anyone else had this instantaneous combustion happen?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

...glad to see they are all okay. Does us all a favour and tell her & the kids to stay in bed this Friday...

Reply to
Ebodski

Yes.

Except I was driving at the time.

About 11 years ago in a '83 Polo Formel E. Started to lose power and stopped in the middle of the road. Got out, lifted the bonnet to see if I could spot anything wrong and then suggested to SWMBO that she may wish to evacuate the car fairly pronto....

Reply to
Grant Mason

Was this an HDI (diesel) Pic? If so, there have been numous CAN wiring faults with them- this is almost exactly the same as what we first saw with the Pug 406 using CAN and soon after the 206 (though not as serious with the

206). This is a most dangerous fault with the cooling fan relay / control which can / does result in a big short and fire can result. This may have been the cause...?

PSA at the moment will not recognise there is a fault, although they will repair problem cars FOC even if they are out of warranty- says something doesnt it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Yes. I was in the petrol station filling up my Talbot Solara (anyone remember them? yeuch!!) when the starter motor started spinning and smoke poured out of the front. Gave my fellow customers a bit of a fright.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Tim, was that the one that featured on Watch Dog a while back? Might be worth the OP digging around on their site if it is.Asuuming the garage doesn't take care of it properly.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The one on watchdog was lock barrells getting sticky so that the starter motor was being run all the time.

Reply to
Doki

Ahhh, that was it - I couldn't quite remember. Apparently, one of the victims was a Traffic Cop, who was a bit miffed to be told it was his driving style or something like that.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I don't really see how you don't notice something like the starter motor still running. In my car if I hold the starter on it sounds bloody unhealthy.

Reply to
Doki

LOL, yeah, sounds like and feels like someone is drilling your teeth, only cheaper LOL.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Could be an engine misfire allowing petrol to enter the catalyst and burn there. This raises the temperature of the exhaust to a point where the underseal applied to the underside of the body can melt/catch alight. Had a similar problem on a Mk3 Astra. The exhaust was virtually glowing, and the floorpan got so hot that the centre console and carpets melted to the floor!

A misfire would also cause the lack of power you describe. To make speed drop as low as 10mph, at least two cylinders must be dropping out.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

As I recall the Watchdog programme related tothe 406- yes this is the same problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Oh in that case it wasnt then. (see above post)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Bearing in mind the fact that more people die in bed than anywhere else, are you sure staying bed is a sensible option?

Reply to
Alan